On the subject of Mental illness and Autism

Hi. Young autistic guy here.

I just recently signed up here and I'm not used to writing in forums at all, but with this subject I find myself really eager and passionate to write about it.

Maybe I haven't dug deep enough on the internet, but I see less resources for people who have both mental illness and autism. I have both. There's a stigma surrounding it, where it seems 'impossible' to have both be co-morbid, to basically have both at the same time. The fact is, both are possible. If anyone's needed to read that, who feels invalid, or a complete fraud/fake, you're not. Many factors can create mental illness. Trauma, loss, bullying, etc. Even non-autistics can have one or more mental illnesses or physical ailments.

Why is it important to have more resources? Because from my own personal experience of being made to feel as if I'm lying about having both, you can feel so, so misunderstood. The mental health side gets put on the back burner and gradually things deteriorate for those affected, because there's not enough discussion and resources about mental illness and autism being both common together.

• Thank you for the welcome! :)

It's wonderful how far that you've progressed with your mental illnesses, then being aware that your OCD may never go, but trying to accept it. I have Borderline Personality Disorder and Dissociative Identity Disorder. Bizarrely, if I mention those words that I was professionally diagnosed with now? I get told that I no longer have it. Apparently the logic is that once you get diagnosed with something else, suddenly you're cured or were a liar in the first place about what you were diagnosed with and still deal with on a day-to-day basis. Unamused 0 logic. Joy Luckily I've had my doctor vouch for me about my mental illnesses, but you're even supplying proof that there's a higher prevalence that autism and mental illness are co-morbid, so there's plenty of time for professionals to look that up for themselves. I used to be more naive and would think that it wasn't ignorance, but it clearly is. People need to listen to us more for sure.

Also I appreciate the literature if you do find it, thank you!

• It's really frustrating, but hopefully people will eventually start to listen!

Typing is definitely easier than holding an actual conversation Slight smile It's nice to have some thinking time rather than having to give an immediate response (and potentially getting it wrong!).

• Thank you for the welcome! :)

Exactly. I've written letters to complain about the ignorance, explaining that the two can co-exist, but I get the silent treatment. :/ In their eyes, you only have one thing, nothing more. It stems down to ignorance, fear to get involved in treating the mental health conditions, because mental health in itself still has so much stigma, and backwardness. There are a lot of people who want basic human respect, not a trip to see a professional who makes them leave the appointment with more disappointment than relief. :(

So far it feels really refreshing that my little forum post has gained some responses, haha. xD I always find that I can communicate better when I type.

• Hello and welcome to the forum! I am Autistic and also have suffered from a variety of mental health difficulties throughout my lifetime. Depression (several episodes but have gone over ten years without an episode Slight smile); OCD (My last flare up was 2 1/2 years ago, I’m at my baseline level now but I have to begrudgingly admit that I may never be totally free of it) and Compulsive Hair pulling (In remission for the past year and a half and I’m really hoping that it stays that way!). There is literature which indicates a higher prevalence of mental health difficulties in autistic individuals. I shall have to go and find something relevant and get back to you.

• Thank you for the welcome!

You're right about self-management; As horrible as it is to feel like there aren't enough people putting in the work to help, it can make you a stronger person when you learn new coping skills on your own. Like you also said, speaking to others who experience both at the same time can probably give you much better advice than someone who doesn't want to try to understand.

I'm in the process of finding mental health care, but being a young adult now, I'm still not at a stage where I'm satisfied with things. I've learned new strategies, but I just don't understand why we, the autistic individuals, are made to feel like we are stupid and delusional if we bring up our mental health struggles? So I can completely understand why you gave up. It gets tiring and frustrating.

I hope that by more people speaking about it, one day something will change. :)

• Hi! Welcome to the forum.

I also have autism and mental health issues, and I find it's really difficult to find information/resources tailored to autistic people with mental health conditions.

It's good to see that both mental health and autism are being talked about more, but it'd be nice to see professionals linking the two together!

I hope you find the forum useful - I have. It's good to talk to people who understand.

• Hi, Old autistic guy here,

Welcome to the forum.

There are a lot of co-morbidities in the autistic population. Sometimes this is recognised, sometimes it is not.

Autism is not considered a mental health issue by mental health services in my area. And I agree it isn’t. However, the experience of being autistic in a world run by non-autistics seems to inevitably result in mental health issues.

I have given up trying to find the correct support via the health service. By researching both autism and the concomitant mental health issues, I have slowly managed to pull myself back from the brink and now feel I am moving forward.

My suggestion would be to talk to other autistic people on here and wherever and whenever you can. You will eventually find people who see life and its problems in the same way as you. This is a good start to the process of recovery and regaining control of your life.