On the subject of Mental illness and Autism

Hi. Young autistic guy here.

I just recently signed up here and I'm not used to writing in forums at all, but with this subject I find myself really eager and passionate to write about it.

Maybe I haven't dug deep enough on the internet, but I see less resources for people who have both mental illness and autism. I have both. There's a stigma surrounding it, where it seems 'impossible' to have both be co-morbid, to basically have both at the same time. The fact is, both are possible. If anyone's needed to read that, who feels invalid, or a complete fraud/fake, you're not. Many factors can create mental illness. Trauma, loss, bullying, etc. Even non-autistics can have one or more mental illnesses or physical ailments.

Why is it important to have more resources? Because from my own personal experience of being made to feel as if I'm lying about having both, you can feel so, so misunderstood. The mental health side gets put on the back burner and gradually things deteriorate for those affected, because there's not enough discussion and resources about mental illness and autism being both common together.

• The disclaimer is rather odd too. I wonder who these people are?

“No information in this document should be construed as medical advice. Neither article authors, associated charities, nor individual contributors take any responsibility or liability for any decision taken as a result of the information contained herein.”

• That’s a rather odd paper, from a rather odd charity. A charity that charges a membership fee?

• I agree with you regarding managing autistic symptoms being more beneficial for your overall mental state, but why I made this forum post, was to raise some awareness about the mental illness aspect still not changing, whether you have managed your autism or not. That's my case. I've been managing my autism fine. I like different discussions and I understand that misunderstandings can be made. Further reading what you were trying to convey, you do have advice that can be helpful to start with. The main issue is that even if someone manages their autism, they are likely to still suffer with mental illness that's ignored, untreated and starts to eat away at the progress that they have made with their autism. It opens up a rabbit hole, to be honest. Thank you for explaining your point more clearly, though. Relaxed

• I was speaking with specific reference to MH comorbidities, not physical ones with 'physical symptoms' whose erroneous conflation with autism is dispelled in the report you cite. I don't advocate the dismissal of the existence of co-morbid MH issues, or the identification of every issue as 'autism'. It's a well-known fact that having autism engenders MH issues in the first place, so I just believe that foremost managing and accepting the autism spectrum condition is the way to alleviate those MH symptoms.

• You say that the mental health side gets put on the back burner. HOWEVER, I would contend that by focussing on managing the autism, you treat the source of the MH problems, so not focussing on MH is not necessarily bad..

Providing the symptoms are on account of the condition of autism spectrum disorder itself, better managing the condition will ameliorate those symptoms. When though we refer to co-morbid symptoms, we are referring to illnesses and or diseases that occur alongside the condition of autism spectrum disorder, and require separate or additional therapeutic treatment, whether it be medical, clinical or verbal.

Consider the following statement from Medical Comorbidities in Autism Spectrum Disorder: A Primer for Health Care Professionals and Policy Makers pdf ~ which on page 4 of 19 states:

Widespread reports of severe medical conditions being attributed, without investigation and sometimes without physical examination, to autism behaviours have compelled the creation of this document in order to present relevant information to healthcare providers,policy makers and the wider audience. A summary of current research, including the positions of leading governmental and professional bodies, is hoped and expected to help bridge the knowledge and training gap, and as a consequence, decrease the premature attribution of physical symptoms to 'autism behaviours'.

Current research, shared below, offers support to health care and care providers in understanding the possible mechanisms, symptomatology, and consequences of common comorbidities in ASD, thus allowing improved patient care and reduced long-term costs.This document also provides a list of symptoms and behaviours that are indicative of health problems but often dismissed as ‘autism’, and offers common sources of such behaviour. Case studies highlight and contextualize some challenges faced in diagnosing this unique patient group and the possible outcomes of successful identification of underlying medical problems.

https://nationalautismassociation.org/pdf/MedicalComorbiditiesinASD2013.pdf

• You say that the mental health side gets put on the back burner. HOWEVER, I would contend that by focussing on managing the autism, you treat the source of the MH problems, so not focussing on MH is not necessarily bad..

• I just found something for you on Tania Marshall's website. I wouldn't advise reading the article itself as it's a little negative BUT the many links to other articles that are included in this piece 'should' be relevant. 

https://taniaannmarshall.wordpress.com/2018/10/31/autism-and-personality-disorders/

• Hello!

Yes! Honestly, the amount of feedback that I've got from fellow autistic people who have experience in having both gives me so much peace of mind. Relaxed

I'll be at an appointment about my mental health being in the toilet and have the same response that I can't have mental illness. UnamusedUnamused It does honestly still come as a shock to me that even now, some professionals who claim to know the ins and outs of autism actually have no idea what it really is like. It can also just take years to find the right person. It shouldn't take that long. Like you said, you find more comfort from the people who share what you have, which is good, but also can be disappointing when you take a look at how misunderstood we can be. But what I do think will start to get better, gradually, is more neurotypical mental health professionals will spot the differences between autism and mental illness. If someone describes completely different symptoms that are in no way the same as autistic symptoms, that should be separated, not ignored. More care would be appreciated in how to function with both at the same time.

• Thank you for the welcome!

I have to majorly agree with you there about what some neurotypical professionals do way too often. Unamused They have an idea of what's expected of an autistic person, so that can mean how they act, speak, dress, etc. If you don't fit into those small-minded boxes, when autism in itself is a spectrum, they send you on your way. Expressionless Yes, with a better understanding, neurotypicals won't use stereotypes to define what autism really is, nor deny that mental illness actually is possible together with it.

There's always going to be a good person among the ignorant ones who will help, but you have to dig deep. I'm still on that journey myself in finding someone who wants to help. The best of luck to you! Relaxed

I haven't seen that book before, but I'll go and check it out! Thank you! Open mouth

• Hello!

I just checked out your profile and that's a really amazing achievement with your Foundation Degree in Computing that you were awarded! I love creating artwork, music and writing the most. I also like the Simpsons, have watched Family guy, but I haven't watched Bob's Burgers yet. Have you seen American Dad or Rick and Morty? Relaxed

• If you have an android phone or an iPhone, on the app store all you need to do is type in AAC, or AAC Voice To Text. You can pick different voices. The one that I use is called Speech Assistant. It has pre-written words that you can choose from, such as small words or sentences, or you can even type in your own words/sentences. Relaxed

I got a small book on sign language..but I haven't picked it up in a while, because if I can only see pictures that don't move, I can't really tell whether I'd be doing the sign language correctly or not, so that book is collecting dust. Joy

• Hello! :)

I find Autism and mental health issues go hand-in-hand, which is an unfortunate, but true thing. I, and everyone I know who has Autism (which is quite a few!) has suffered with a mental health issue at one point, or continues to. I think it makes complete sense that most of us do. We're forced to function in a world we're not programmed to function in, and it's stressful as hell! 

You're absolutely right about needing more resources. Honestly, I have not been on this forum for very long but already I have found it very useful and enlightening. It's okay for non-Autistic people to say things about us, but actually hearing it from people who actually live with it is very different, and to me, better. :)

• Welcome to the forum! Thanks for posting about this issue, I think it's a really important one to look at.

I have autism and also depression, anxiety and ocd (waiting on a diagnosis for that one). I've found it can be very difficult to talk to neurotypical GPs and mental health staff about how I'm feeling. They sometimes say I don't present as being distressed/upset from my facial expressions - I think a better understanding of autism would definitely help in these situations!

Have you ever come across this book? 

The Guide to Good Mental Health on the Autism Spectrum https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1849056706/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_sOEQDbRJDB72D

I've not read it but had it recommended to me. 

Wishing you all the best :-) 

• Hello biohazardbrain,

Welcome to the forum! I have been diagnosed with Level 2 ASD. Feel free to ask any questions and read my profile.

• Me too Slight smile

I haven't heard of AAC apps, but they sound really useful Slight smile I'd love to learn sign language too.

• Thank you for such the kind response and link! Relaxed

You're right; it does make me feel a lot less alone knowing that this is more common than people realise. It means a lot to me that I've had thoughtful responses on my post! Grin

• Thank you for the welcome! :)

It's wonderful how far that you've progressed with your mental illnesses, then being aware that your OCD may never go, but trying to accept it. I have Borderline Personality Disorder and Dissociative Identity Disorder. Bizarrely, if I mention those words that I was professionally diagnosed with now? I get told that I no longer have it. Apparently the logic is that once you get diagnosed with something else, suddenly you're cured or were a liar in the first place about what you were diagnosed with and still deal with on a day-to-day basis.  0 logic.  Luckily I've had my doctor vouch for me about my mental illnesses, but you're even supplying proof that there's a higher prevalence that autism and mental illness are co-morbid, so there's plenty of time for professionals to look that up for themselves. I used to be more naive and would think that it wasn't ignorance, but it clearly is. People need to listen to us more for sure.

Also I appreciate the literature if you do find it, thank you!

Here's 34 listings of threads using the search heading 'Autism and Comorbid Disorders' from this forum that you might find interesting perhaps:

https://community.autism.org.uk/search?q=Autism%20and%20Comorbid%20Disorders

I myself have Schizoeffective Personality Disorder along with being Aspergian, and I have a few friends on the spectrum also with SPD like myself and BPD like yourself. You are so not alone as such and welcome to the community.

• I'd be so happy if things started to change for the better. Slight smile

I know, right? Joy Have you heard of an AAC app? I have one of those on my phone. Text to voice, basically. It happens so often that people think my voice is monotonous and that I'm being rude, when I'm really not. Or I'm just selectively mute because of anxiety and my brain almost malfunctions. I also want to learn sign language, because I feel that even though I've gotten better at making conversation, I'll always be drained afterwards, compared to a neurotypical person. It always feels completely new with speaking to someone, even someone that I may have known for years.