On the subject of Mental illness and Autism

Hi. Young autistic guy here.

I just recently signed up here and I'm not used to writing in forums at all, but with this subject I find myself really eager and passionate to write about it.

Maybe I haven't dug deep enough on the internet, but I see less resources for people who have both mental illness and autism. I have both. There's a stigma surrounding it, where it seems 'impossible' to have both be co-morbid, to basically have both at the same time. The fact is, both are possible. If anyone's needed to read that, who feels invalid, or a complete fraud/fake, you're not. Many factors can create mental illness. Trauma, loss, bullying, etc. Even non-autistics can have one or more mental illnesses or physical ailments.

Why is it important to have more resources? Because from my own personal experience of being made to feel as if I'm lying about having both, you can feel so, so misunderstood. The mental health side gets put on the back burner and gradually things deteriorate for those affected, because there's not enough discussion and resources about mental illness and autism being both common together.

Parents
  • Hello and welcome to the forum! I am Autistic and also have suffered from a variety of mental health difficulties throughout my lifetime. Depression (several episodes but have gone over ten years without an episode Slight smile); OCD (My last flare up was 2 1/2 years ago, I’m at my baseline level now but I have to begrudgingly admit that I may never be totally free of it) and Compulsive Hair pulling (In remission for the past year and a half and I’m really hoping that it stays that way!). There is literature which indicates a higher prevalence of mental health difficulties in autistic individuals. I shall have to go and find something relevant and get back to you.

• Thank you for the welcome! :)

It's wonderful how far that you've progressed with your mental illnesses, then being aware that your OCD may never go, but trying to accept it. I have Borderline Personality Disorder and Dissociative Identity Disorder. Bizarrely, if I mention those words that I was professionally diagnosed with now? I get told that I no longer have it. Apparently the logic is that once you get diagnosed with something else, suddenly you're cured or were a liar in the first place about what you were diagnosed with and still deal with on a day-to-day basis. Unamused 0 logic. Joy Luckily I've had my doctor vouch for me about my mental illnesses, but you're even supplying proof that there's a higher prevalence that autism and mental illness are co-morbid, so there's plenty of time for professionals to look that up for themselves. I used to be more naive and would think that it wasn't ignorance, but it clearly is. People need to listen to us more for sure.

Also I appreciate the literature if you do find it, thank you!

It's wonderful how far that you've progressed with your mental illnesses, then being aware that your OCD may never go, but trying to accept it. I have Borderline Personality Disorder and Dissociative Identity Disorder. Bizarrely, if I mention those words that I was professionally diagnosed with now? I get told that I no longer have it. Apparently the logic is that once you get diagnosed with something else, suddenly you're cured or were a liar in the first place about what you were diagnosed with and still deal with on a day-to-day basis. Unamused 0 logic. Joy Luckily I've had my doctor vouch for me about my mental illnesses, but you're even supplying proof that there's a higher prevalence that autism and mental illness are co-morbid, so there's plenty of time for professionals to look that up for themselves. I used to be more naive and would think that it wasn't ignorance, but it clearly is. People need to listen to us more for sure.

Children
  • I just found something for you on Tania Marshall's website. I wouldn't advise reading the article itself as it's a little negative BUT the many links to other articles that are included in this piece 'should' be relevant. 

https://taniaannmarshall.wordpress.com/2018/10/31/autism-and-personality-disorders/

• Thank you for such the kind response and link! Relaxed

You're right; it does make me feel a lot less alone knowing that this is more common than people realise. It means a lot to me that I've had thoughtful responses on my post! Grin

It's wonderful how far that you've progressed with your mental illnesses, then being aware that your OCD may never go, but trying to accept it. I have Borderline Personality Disorder and Dissociative Identity Disorder. Bizarrely, if I mention those words that I was professionally diagnosed with now? I get told that I no longer have it. Apparently the logic is that once you get diagnosed with something else, suddenly you're cured or were a liar in the first place about what you were diagnosed with and still deal with on a day-to-day basis.  0 logic.  Luckily I've had my doctor vouch for me about my mental illnesses, but you're even supplying proof that there's a higher prevalence that autism and mental illness are co-morbid, so there's plenty of time for professionals to look that up for themselves. I used to be more naive and would think that it wasn't ignorance, but it clearly is. People need to listen to us more for sure.

Here's 34 listings of threads using the search heading 'Autism and Comorbid Disorders' from this forum that you might find interesting perhaps:

https://community.autism.org.uk/search?q=Autism%20and%20Comorbid%20Disorders

I myself have Schizoeffective Personality Disorder along with being Aspergian, and I have a few friends on the spectrum also with SPD like myself and BPD like yourself. You are so not alone as such and welcome to the community.