Anti-anxiety meds

Hi

So I have always suffered with anxiety and low mood. This year I found out I am an Aspie.  Not just a little bit but a lot. 

Sometimes anxiety or sensory or both cause me to shake.  At night, like last night I wake up and I am in the foetal position rocking with anxiety.

So I am considering anti-anxiety meds. But...

1) I am worried they will change my personality for the worse and

2) as a side effect suicide is possible.

Has anyone been on these and what effects have they had. 

Parents Reply Children
  • They do work for meltdowns. I've got all (really ALL) the sensory issues, and on medication it was much better. But for me the side effects were impossible to live with.

To give you an example: I had to deal with the five year visit of inlaws who stayed here for about five days. They like to drink and sit and talk. I had just started Sertraline. Without it I wouldn't have managed and I would have had an instant meltdown, kicking them out of the house. Had to stop as I got really agitated and aggressive after some weeks.

Meds just knock you out a little, they place a filter between you and the outside world.

But everybody has a different reaction to them.

• I felt very on edge before taking Propanalol since starting it I still feel some kind of emotional reaction if something goes wrong but I don't feel like I am going to react by having a meltdown. Sensory issues seem less extreme too. I have felt sadness and happiness but in a good way. The guidance on this particular drug said not to take when experiencing depression. There are other medications where this doesn't apply I am sure. 

• They calm you down so that you can try and spot them coming on before they turn into a full blown meltdown. Again I’m not saying I never experience them (if only) but they aren’t as many as it used to be. Doctors have to tell you about the worst symptoms to cover there back to at least let you know just in case