Anti-anxiety meds

Hi

So I have always suffered with anxiety and low mood. This year I found out I am an Aspie.  Not just a little bit but a lot. 

Sometimes anxiety or sensory or both cause me to shake.  At night, like last night I wake up and I am in the foetal position rocking with anxiety.

So I am considering anti-anxiety meds. But...

1) I am worried they will change my personality for the worse and

2) as a side effect suicide is possible.

Has anyone been on these and what effects have they had. 

• I was prescribed Promethazine when I was hospitalised. It's not addictive like some medication. It was originally created as an antihistamine but it's affective for treating insomnia, travel sickness and is a mild antipsychotic as well as hay fever! I personally have found that it really helps me with the overanalyzing day to day and keeps my mind less noisy. Together with Pregabalin and Fluoxitine I'm able to live a reasonably normal live day to day, keep a job, run a household and look after a zoo of pets. 

Another thing that has always stuck in my mind was what a GP told me once. It's better to accept that I'll have to take medication everyday for the rest of my life and actually live rather than be uncontrollably up and down, having to take meds, come off them, relapse etc

• I have been taking citalopram (a SSRI) for 16 years now for anxiety. I only found out I am autistic a few months ago. For me the citalopram works well. It takes the edge of my anxiety so I can function and lead a relatively normal life. I don't have a problem with my sleep and haven't had any manic episodes. In fact the only side effect I have ever had is a headache when increasing or reducing the dose. 
  • In the booklet of the ones I have it mentions taking one before an 'anxious situation'. Maybe you should discuss it with your GP once you are feeling more settled. 

• I have taken several meds that you are supposed to gradually build down before stopping, and have never had to do that. I just stopped. Although that is not recommendable. But I am not addiction-prone.

But propanolol I have never had to take. I'd always go by what is said by the GP or on the box.

• That's great thanks! I was thinking of reducing the dose once things are more settled then just using the tablets if I feel I need to, especially for high stress events like job interviews. 

• Yes you do have to decrease them gradually if you take them regularly. I used to take 2 × 40mg a day for a few months and I weaned myself off them over a few weeks. I now just take one or half of one if I feel I need it, on the advice of my GP. It just takes the edge off. I am reluctant to try any other medication but these seem to work ok for me anyway.

• That's really helpful to know - I read that you have to gradually decrease the dose when you want to stop taking it (I'm taking 3 x 40mg per day currently) is that your experience or do you just stop?

• I take propranolol if I feel I really need it. It does take the edge off when I am very anxious. It seems to calm the physical sensations of anxiety and makes it easier to deal with what's going on in your head. It doesn't seem to change your personality and I like it because I can just take it when I need to, I'm not on it all the time.

• Unfortunately you won't know how you react to medication unless you try them. I am not for them, but the Sertraline made me superhappy. And  it made me aware of what I am otherwise like. After stopping, I tried to be less uptight and more aware.

You can speculate about the what if's but you can't predict your response.

• This idea of a filter or chemical cosh is what I fear.   Cbt you have to adapt yourself to autism so what is there?

• They do work for meltdowns. I've got all (really ALL) the sensory issues, and on medication it was much better. But for me the side effects were impossible to live with.

To give you an example: I had to deal with the five year visit of inlaws who stayed here for about five days. They like to drink and sit and talk. I had just started Sertraline. Without it I wouldn't have managed and I would have had an instant meltdown, kicking them out of the house. Had to stop as I got really agitated and aggressive after some weeks.

Meds just knock you out a little, they place a filter between you and the outside world.

But everybody has a different reaction to them.

• I felt very on edge before taking Propanalol since starting it I still feel some kind of emotional reaction if something goes wrong but I don't feel like I am going to react by having a meltdown. Sensory issues seem less extreme too. I have felt sadness and happiness but in a good way. The guidance on this particular drug said not to take when experiencing depression. There are other medications where this doesn't apply I am sure. 

• They calm you down so that you can try and spot them coming on before they turn into a full blown meltdown. Again I’m not saying I never experience them (if only) but they aren’t as many as it used to be. Doctors have to tell you about the worst symptoms to cover there back to at least let you know just in case 

• But what about meltdowns.  I have 2 sensory and overload of emotions.  With the emotions do they work?

• My second day of taking Propanalol for anxiety and I feel so much calmer and happier. Like Nicola I still feel like me, but I'm no longer twisted up inside with worry. 

GPs can talk through the most suitable medication for you taking into account side effects and risk factors. I was reluctant to try medication at first - I've always preferred talking therapies. However I am now starting to see the benefits of a pharmaceutical approach in relation to anxiety.

• I’m on meds for both mood and anxiety and was the best decision I made. They haven’t changed my personality at all. If anything it’s help me see myself again as I’m not 100% anxious. Not saying I’m not anxious at times but not as much as I used to be. Don’t know if this helps or not 

• I take propanalol occasionally for presentations and performances. What it does is stops the effect of adrenaline (without actually stopping the adrenaline from being released). It does work, but I get really hungry and tired afterwards. I have never tried taking it regularly, but I've thought about it. Though I wouldn't like to decrease my energy levels. In fact I think it's probably impossible to find a med that decreases anxiety but not general energy. If there is one, I'd like to try it.

• Before it was known I am autistic my GP prescribed Propanalol for anxiety. I did not start taking it because I read the leaflet and it said it could sometimes increase anxiety.

Now I have my diagnosis I am looking into anxiety medications again. 

I just watched an interesting webinar on research into use of Propanalol by autistic people. Worth noting that this researcher says a contra-indicator for taking this drug is depression - definitely something worth checking with a doctor:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=R10JSc4ws9o

• So sorry to hear you have nerve damage. I should be more careful with excessive iPad and iPhone use as this  could easily cause me problems. 

• That is how I (probably permanently) have damaged the nerves in wrists and elbows because I ignored the pain and had decided it was nothing much.