Adjustments in interviews

Hello.  I'm new here and I'm really hoping that someone can help.

Has anyone got any experience about asking for adjustments to the recruitment process, especially interviews?

I'm trying to help someone get a job and he is worried about not being able to answer questions in an interview situation even though he would be able to do the job itself well.

I've thought about asking for the interview questions in advance, but don't want to jeopardise his chances by putting off a potential employer.  He worries that it will look like he's 'cheating'.

We've looked at work placements which would lead to a job, but haven't had any success in getting him one.

Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions that might help us?

Many thanks.

Kate

(Development worker)

• (I am Autistic and a manager who hires people (Yes we exist).  I've also provided some Autistic work placements through some schemes and worked closely with people in your sort of role to facilitate this)

Honestly the problem of unconscious bias is very real and declaring a disability at interview stage is best avoided unless it's absolutely essential.

Have a read of: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pratfall_effect   Some people don't interview too well.  Most employers already make some allowances for this (interview nerves etc.).  By declaring a disability like Aspergers and asking for adjustments at interview you rewrite this perception.  It's no longer interview nerves it's the disorder.  Little voices start thinking that this person is going to be like this all the time and questioning whether they can let this person be near customers, clients and other employees.  When this usually isn't the case at all.

What sort of work is he trying to get into?

• Hi, I just want to say that if the manager/ hiring person is prejudiced against autism and if knowing a candidate is autistic will make him not hire that person, then I think it really would not be a good work environment anyways. So what I am trying to say is that if disclosing about someone being autistic and asking for reasonable adjustments puts the hiring manager off then that probably would not be a good workplace anyways - so really there is not much to loose by disclosing if the person feels ok with that. And in fact seeing how they react to the request of reasonable adjustments will also give you an idea about how the workplace will be like and how open they are to adjustments etc. so in a way you are testing/interviewing them too. 

I also do not agree at all that people prefer to hire neurotypicals or that neurotypical people are always more suited. Many autistic traits can make someone a very good candidate for a job- and you cannot generalise like this- it depends on the job, it depends on the person and everyone is unique so I think it is an unfair assumption to say that:

"Companies also want to determine from an interview whether the candidate will fit into the team and company culture. Someone with autism will most likely fail on this count, unless the company has a policy to fit such people into their teams. Unless the autistic person has a technical edge the company will prefer to employ a neuro-typical person who can do the job and fits into the team. It's about competition." 

Autistic people can fit into teams and do so even without policies. in fact there are so many undiagnosed autistic people around too - you might even be working with some and have no idea. 

I am actually autistic too- I recently got a new job and luckily I do quite well with interviews if the theme is academic as that is my special interest- I didn't have an official diagnosis at the time though- but I told my line manager when I was diagnosed- he was a bit stumped but that was that. And I think I am part of the team (despite not telling people about being autistic, except for 1 person that I am quite close to now knows but it changed nothing in terms of how we interact)- I am a bit weird which I don't hide but we all have our quirks and especially in my field (I work in research in a lab), people tend to be quite accepting. 

• Hi,

Fellow Aspie and ADHD-er here, also working as a neurodiversity consultant at big corporates.

Asking for the interview questions ahead of time is definitely a reasonable adjustment because your ability to prepare appropriately and account for your processing difference is all part and parcel of the interview process. 

Yes, we can't do anything much about their understanding of Autism or willingness to accommodate and it definitely shouldn't be our job to convince them we're worth pressing "send" on one extra email (and yet it still does fall on our shoulders, as the disadvantaged group!) BUT I'll be damned if I don't ask the question and copy and paste sections of the Equality Act 2010 every time I apply for a new job! 

• Hello, I'm trying to find the documenand case study you've mentioneabove. Do you have a link? 

• Owing to ill health I have not applied for many jobs since my occupational therapist and myself created that list of reasonable adjustments. Having said that, so far no one has offered me a work trail; people seem more willing to provide reasonable adjustments within an interview. No one has refused any of the suggestions within an interview, however, interviewers do struggle, for example, to ask 'closed' questions as they revert to their standard behaviour.

I recall an interview where I was asked why I was the best person for the job. The people interviewing me knew I have Asperger's but when I answered 'I cannot say I am the best person for the job because I do not know the other applicants', one interviewer burst out laughing and the other looked, well I am not sure how she looked but I do know it was not a happy look. I was not offered the position.

I also have an introductory document which is sent to the organisation upon being asked for an interview (the document includes the reasonable adjustments I listed in my previous post). The basic text of the document is shown below. Please feel free to use any or all of the text if it is of help.

--------------------

I live with the condition of Asperger's syndrome which is a lifelong disability and mostly a 'hidden disability', that is, you cannot tell someone has the condition from their outward appearance.

I, like other people with Asperger's syndrome, can make a valuable contribution to an organisation with the qualities we bring to a job, for example:

• reliability;

• conscientiousness and persistence;

• accuracy;

• close attention to detail and an ability to identify errors;

• an ability to concentrate, without distraction, on a task for lengthy periods;

• technical ability such as excellent IT skills;

• detailed factual knowledge;

• a high level of motivation.

Asperger's syndrome is a high-functioning autistic condition which affects the way a person sees the world, processes information and interacts with other people; this means they:

• usually have social communication difficulties, for example difficulty with 'reading' non-verbal communication;

• are likely to be anxious in unfamiliar situations;

• may dislike physical contact.

The key is to treat each person as an individual and avoid assumptions about their likely performance because they have Asperger's syndrome. For example I:

• worked for XXXX for over XXXX years;

• am capable of forming strong working relationships (more than XXXX years after leaving XXXX, I am still in contact with a number of ex-colleagues);

• have received acknowledgement from all my managers of my ability to train and help develop team members.

Owing to the difficulties people with Asperger's syndrome face in communicating, I am unlikely to put myself forward well in an interview. Some of the problems I may face are:

• finding it hard to think in abstract ways or considering 'what if?' scenarios;

• being more comfortable with facts than hypotheses;

• difficulty in judging how much information to give, especially if questions are 'open';

• demonstrating enthusiasm for the role;

• a general difficulty in 'selling' myself to potential employers.

In order to prevent me being discriminated against within an interview because of my disability, I would like you to consider the following reasonable adjustments please:

• a work trial (a two-way placement evaluation) or a practical test relating to the role instead of an interview;

• an informal visit prior to the interview;

• notification of the questions or selection criteria prior to the interview;

• within an interview, please consider the following:

• providing more time for the interview;

• being aware I may interpret language literally, for example asking 'How did you find your last job?' may result in an answer like 'I found it in the paper and sent off for an application form';

• the asking of 'closed', rather than 'open', questions, for example instead of 'Tell me about yourself', try 'Tell me about your last job and what it involved';

• the avoidance of hypothetical or abstract questions, for example instead of 'How would you cope with lots of interruptions?', try 'In your last job how did you cope when people interrupted you?';

• the asking of questions based on my experience;

• letting me know if I am providing too much detail.

• Thank you asparagus.

I can understand what you say about him possibly forgetting the answers.  It's just that the uncertainty about the questions is one of the big things causing him anxiety.

I suppose I imagine him taking in some notes to prompt him to answer the questions.

Everyone's answers are giving me a lot to think about - I really do appreciate it!

• Wow, thanks caretwo!

Those are exactly the sort of adjustments the person I'm supporting would benefit from.

Have you had success in asking for and getting those adjustments in an interview?

• The option to provide questions beforehand is a reasonable adjustment and I believe I was given that suggestion by what was the Equality Commission.

Below are the reasonable adjustments my occupational therapist and I agreed upon.

• a work trial (a two-way placement evaluation) or a practical test relating to the role instead of an interview;
    • an informal visit prior to the interview;
    • notification of the questions or selection criteria prior to the interview.

Within an interview:

• providing more time for the interview;
    • being aware I may interpret language literally, for example asking 'How did you find your last job?' may result in an answer like 'I found it in the paper and sent off for an application form';
    • the asking of 'closed', rather than 'open', questions, for example instead of 'Tell me about yourself', try 'Tell me about your last job and what it involved';
    • the avoidance of hypothetical or abstract questions, for example instead of 'How would you cope with lots of interruptions?', try 'In your last job how did you cope when people interrupted you?';
    • the asking of questions based on my experience;
    • letting me know if I am providing too much detail.

• A hiring manager needs to know what Asperger's is but also how it affects the person they are hiring.

I have become heartedly sick of one person and their comment which is meant in the very best light so I am stuck with it. But the number of times 'she' has said to me, 'she' understands why I choose to sit at the back, because her friend has Asperger's and does similar in places'  I am heartedly sick of it because my reasons are different. One part is similar and one part is different and another part that helps me to sit where i  do but is linked to the first part.  But 'she' hasn't listened to my reasoning at all. Just says she knows from her friend. 

I sit at the back in that situation because a) I don't enjoy the feeling 'they' are looking at me, even if they are definitely not. b) I dont like the sound over my head when everyone starts talking the said bits... it too uncomfortable for me and c) which is linked to the a) I join in my own way and feel too much that am destracting? others if they question why am i not verbally joining in. I am joining in but  not verbally and when i am at the back, i feel more comfortable at doing my thing about that. 

The person in charge, knows and allows me to sit where i feel comfortable.  I think they would anyway without any further explanation.  But say if this was in a work place then it could be that the employer needs to know how ASD affects them because they may be trying to put something in place out of total respect and that person actually hates it.

How would having the interview questions ahead of time help him?  He could still forget the answers and feel even worse that he has etc.  Between you, you obviously come through a few interviews. Think of questions and think of answers ahead that he may not use but be there if are used.  General ones, Like Why should we hire you..... possibly comes up and the hardest to give a full answer.  What sort of job is it? Is stuff like, if you are an animal what animal would you be... likely to come up. That style of question. There isn't a right answer but they are interested in how you think things through.  I was watching the Job Interview on Monday was it.... Who is your hero. Really do not be afraid to answer mum or dad. It don't have to be some great known celebrity. Someone close to you., again it is that they want to see how he thinking for the job. 

The only draw back i can see if he has the questions ahead of time is that he will possibly feel even worse because he forgot his answers - or someone else may still have better answers. Allow him to feel rubbish because he didn't get the job in his own right. It natural to feel rubbish after not getting a job. Even if you're perfect for it and someone comes along with no skill in that area.... it isn't necessarily his.

Go and live for the moment.

• This whole thing is a bit of a lottery. Some employers are good at this and some are not.

My advice would be that a recuitment agent or someone else (e.g. yourself?) should talk to the employers HR department and do a bit a negotiation before the interview. If the employer won't play ball then they probably won't be a good employer for someone with autism - it is as important to find a suitable employer as it is for the candidate to show themselves as suitable for the role.

Another option is to ask for this adjustment from one or two propsective employers and then review afterwards.

• recombinantsocks said:

Hi Aspergerix,

Asking for the list of interview questions is not a reasonable adjustment and would probably not be given.

In my opinion this is a reasonable adjustment.

This document from ONS (an org that probably has its share of people with autism) gives this as an example (see case study 1).

It does not create a great burden on the interviewer because the interviewer should be working with a fixed list of questions for each candidate to ensure that each candidate faces the same challenges. If the role does not require great conversational or communication skills then the ability to repond spontaneously in the interview need not be tested.

I think that document might be where I got the original idea from!  I just wasn't sure about how it might come across in a real interview situation.

• Can we presume he has Aspergers ?

He does have Aspergers.

For this to work in his favour a hiring manager must know what Aspergers is, and understand it sufficiently, and be willing to employ someone with Aspergers for the role from the outset.

I absolutely agree, I suppose I just hoped that there would be employers who were educated (or were willing to be educated) if it meant that they got a member of staff who would be excellent at the job.

So in my view, asking the average hiring manager in the open job market to make reasonable adjustments for autism in an interview is like expecting to win the euromillions jackpot with your next ticket.

Obviously that's not the answer I was hoping for, but it might be the realistic answer!

Thank you Aspergerix.

• Hi Aspergerix,

Asking for the list of interview questions is not a reasonable adjustment and would probably not be given.

In my opinion this is a reasonable adjustment.

This document from ONS (an org that probably has its share of people with autism) gives this as an example (see case study 1).

It does not create a great burden on the interviewer because the interviewer should be working with a fixed list of questions for each candidate to ensure that each candidate faces the same challenges. If the role does not require great conversational or communication skills then the ability to repond spontaneously in the interview need not be tested.

You make a number of points that ultimately says this person has no chance. Yes, the odds are against this person, yes, it will be difficult, yes he may not be able to outshine other candidates in some skills but an interview is about finding someone who can do a job. Many interviews end up identifying reasons why a candidate does not match preconceived ideas about what people should look like - these interviews do not select the candidates who can do the job but who have flaws that are not relevant to the role.

• bolsover said:

I've thought about asking for the interview questions in advance, but don't want to jeopardise his chances by putting off a potential employer.  

Many thanks.

Kate

(Development worker)

Hi Kate

Can we presume he has Aspergers ?

The moment you disclose that he has Aspergers you potentially jeopordise his chances.

Asking for adjustments then becomes irrelevant because if the company hiring manager is prejudiced then he has no chance. Of course proving such hidden prejudice is impossible from a legal stance.

For this to work in his favour a hiring manager must know what Aspergers is, and understand it sufficiently, and be willing to employ someone with Aspergers for the role from the outset.

One must also remember that an interviewee is competing with other applicants who don't have Aspergers. 

So his job is to convince the company that he has the competitive advantage for the role.

Every person applying for a job must compete against many others, and there can only be one winner.

Reasonable adjustment is about where the interview is done, and the way in which it is conducted. For an adjustment to be reasonable the interviewer would need to be a psychologist and expert in autism, which most hiring managers are not. In fact most such managers are not even expert interviewers in their own right. Questions would need to be asked in a different way and different questions would need to be asked of someone with autism. This takes an expert. Only an expert can understand eye contact and body language differences in autism and how they need to be interpreted regarding the role applied for.

There is also a difference between a coffee shop owner informally interviewing someone versus an HR manager in a multi-national corporate enterprise following an industrial psychological process.

Companies also want to determine from an interview whether the candidate will fit into the team and company culture. Someone with autism will most likely fail on this count, unless the company has a policy to fit such people into their teams. Unless the autistic person has a technical edge the company will prefer to employ a neuro-typical person who can do the job and fits into the team. It's about competition.

So in my view, asking the average hiring manager in the open job market to make reasonable adjustments for autism in an interview is like expecting to win the euromillions jackpot with your next ticket.

• Hi Kate,

Interviews are a nightmare for people with Aspergers. I am going through this myself at the moment. I originally sought diagnosis after yet another interview had gone spectacularly and incomprehensibly wrong. being unable to establish a rapport with other people and not being able to understand other peoples body language and not being able to give the right signals is a big disadvantage in an interview.

His worries about cheating are not surprising - autistic people are sometimes over-scrupulously fair and do not want to take advantage. If you explain that this is a Reasonable Adjustment then he may accept this - having autism is not fair!

What sort of work is he trying to get? What stage of his career is he at?