Adjustments in interviews

Hello.  I'm new here and I'm really hoping that someone can help.

Has anyone got any experience about asking for adjustments to the recruitment process, especially interviews?

I'm trying to help someone get a job and he is worried about not being able to answer questions in an interview situation even though he would be able to do the job itself well.

I've thought about asking for the interview questions in advance, but don't want to jeopardise his chances by putting off a potential employer.  He worries that it will look like he's 'cheating'.

We've looked at work placements which would lead to a job, but haven't had any success in getting him one.

Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions that might help us?

Many thanks.

Kate

(Development worker)

Parents
  • A hiring manager needs to know what Asperger's is but also how it affects the person they are hiring.

I have become heartedly sick of one person and their comment which is meant in the very best light so I am stuck with it. But the number of times 'she' has said to me, 'she' understands why I choose to sit at the back, because her friend has Asperger's and does similar in places'  I am heartedly sick of it because my reasons are different. One part is similar and one part is different and another part that helps me to sit where i  do but is linked to the first part.  But 'she' hasn't listened to my reasoning at all. Just says she knows from her friend. 

I sit at the back in that situation because a) I don't enjoy the feeling 'they' are looking at me, even if they are definitely not. b) I dont like the sound over my head when everyone starts talking the said bits... it too uncomfortable for me and c) which is linked to the a) I join in my own way and feel too much that am destracting? others if they question why am i not verbally joining in. I am joining in but  not verbally and when i am at the back, i feel more comfortable at doing my thing about that. 

The person in charge, knows and allows me to sit where i feel comfortable.  I think they would anyway without any further explanation.  But say if this was in a work place then it could be that the employer needs to know how ASD affects them because they may be trying to put something in place out of total respect and that person actually hates it.

How would having the interview questions ahead of time help him?  He could still forget the answers and feel even worse that he has etc.  Between you, you obviously come through a few interviews. Think of questions and think of answers ahead that he may not use but be there if are used.  General ones, Like Why should we hire you..... possibly comes up and the hardest to give a full answer.  What sort of job is it? Is stuff like, if you are an animal what animal would you be... likely to come up. That style of question. There isn't a right answer but they are interested in how you think things through.  I was watching the Job Interview on Monday was it.... Who is your hero. Really do not be afraid to answer mum or dad. It don't have to be some great known celebrity. Someone close to you., again it is that they want to see how he thinking for the job. 

The only draw back i can see if he has the questions ahead of time is that he will possibly feel even worse because he forgot his answers - or someone else may still have better answers. Allow him to feel rubbish because he didn't get the job in his own right. It natural to feel rubbish after not getting a job. Even if you're perfect for it and someone comes along with no skill in that area.... it isn't necessarily his.

Go and live for the moment.

• A hiring manager needs to know what Asperger's is but also how it affects the person they are hiring.

I have become heartedly sick of one person and their comment which is meant in the very best light so I am stuck with it. But the number of times 'she' has said to me, 'she' understands why I choose to sit at the back, because her friend has Asperger's and does similar in places'  I am heartedly sick of it because my reasons are different. One part is similar and one part is different and another part that helps me to sit where i  do but is linked to the first part.  But 'she' hasn't listened to my reasoning at all. Just says she knows from her friend. 

I sit at the back in that situation because a) I don't enjoy the feeling 'they' are looking at me, even if they are definitely not. b) I dont like the sound over my head when everyone starts talking the said bits... it too uncomfortable for me and c) which is linked to the a) I join in my own way and feel too much that am destracting? others if they question why am i not verbally joining in. I am joining in but  not verbally and when i am at the back, i feel more comfortable at doing my thing about that. 

The person in charge, knows and allows me to sit where i feel comfortable.  I think they would anyway without any further explanation.  But say if this was in a work place then it could be that the employer needs to know how ASD affects them because they may be trying to put something in place out of total respect and that person actually hates it.

How would having the interview questions ahead of time help him?  He could still forget the answers and feel even worse that he has etc.  Between you, you obviously come through a few interviews. Think of questions and think of answers ahead that he may not use but be there if are used.  General ones, Like Why should we hire you..... possibly comes up and the hardest to give a full answer.  What sort of job is it? Is stuff like, if you are an animal what animal would you be... likely to come up. That style of question. There isn't a right answer but they are interested in how you think things through.  I was watching the Job Interview on Monday was it.... Who is your hero. Really do not be afraid to answer mum or dad. It don't have to be some great known celebrity. Someone close to you., again it is that they want to see how he thinking for the job. 

The only draw back i can see if he has the questions ahead of time is that he will possibly feel even worse because he forgot his answers - or someone else may still have better answers. Allow him to feel rubbish because he didn't get the job in his own right. It natural to feel rubbish after not getting a job. Even if you're perfect for it and someone comes along with no skill in that area.... it isn't necessarily his.

Go and live for the moment.

Children
No Data