This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Riots

This surge in far-right violence is frightening me. I'm dreaming about it and having trouble focusing at the moment. My sensitivities seem to kick off badly when stuff like this is going on.

I keep away from the news best I can but it seems to be everywhere.

How do you deal with the issues out there today?

Parents
  • hey that guy Caelus was right actually. Starner is going to use this to enforce a strict police state on the British public. Look it up it’s true. This is like the country being put on lockdown. Don’t get me wrong what these people are doing with they’re riots is making things worse as it’s giving starmer the excuse he needs to shut down the country and label anyone that questions the government a far right fascist.

• That is absolute rubbish.There's a big difference between non violent, though at times very heated,debate and what those rioters are doing.Starmer is quite rightly against the latter. As is any civilised and decent person. I find it very disturbing the way some are quite happy to seek to legitimise the awful behaviour of these  rioters. The 'they're doing it because the working classes have been denied a voice for too long' bs. Or the 'they're not racists they have genuine concerns' bs. There are no excuses for such rioting. Anyone seeing Starmer's response to the rioting as showing his desire to turn the UK into a  'strict police state' are only comparatively less morally repugnant than those rioting.

• I agree.  Attempting to" both sides" this  issue shows a lack of knowledge of what's going on frankly.  

Today's reports are that a hate crime has taken place in Belfast.  The victim is a victim, not a side.

• there are people who just wish to inflict harm and will come up with the justification later, or will try to engineer the justification, or will jump on board with an existing justification.

Yep, that's true imo. 

Looters also - people who see an opportunity to profit from the chaos. 

Like in 2011 - people were rocking up all over London, breaking windows and looting - because it was an opportune time for a bit of rapid thievery without personal consequence. 

• there are people who just wish to inflict harm and will come up with the justification later, or will try to engineer the justification, or will jump on board with an existing justification.

Yep, that's true imo. 

Looters also - people who see an opportunity to profit from the chaos. 

Like in 2011 - people were rocking up all over London, breaking windows and looting - because it was an opportune time for a bit of rapid thievery without personal consequence. 

Children
No Data