Newly diagnosed at 33 years old today.

Hi all,

So after a 4 hour-ish test I finally received the diagnosis. My mum was with me and throughout was telling me that I wasn't autistic, just eccentric etc. but I knew I was. I have known there was something different to me my entire life.  Then they said yes and she was genuinely surprised by it. Apparently I just shut down and seemed ready to move on as soon as I heard. Like my body language etc just changed. 

I got home and I literally fell asleep for 3 hours, my mind hurt.

So now I am at the start of navigating this all. I am lucky that with my partner I don't really have to 'mask' , as soon as I met him I told him I was autistic just not officially diagnosed. But right now I really need him to just lie on top of me with his full body weight, I feel as though I am defragmenting and need to be pulled back together.

I am aware I'm rambling, so I am just wondering wth do I even do to begin this new 'process', I don't want to have to mask anymore. I just kind of need a concise step by step guide on what I need to do to navigate this 'new' though really bloody old reality. 

Any advise would be appreciated.

• Hi and welcome, take it slowly and don’t expect too much from your mother. Parents often see autism as their fault or their parenting skills being attacked. I don’t know if you have one, weighted blankets are really good for exerting pressure, maybe not while the weather is so warm! As for navigating your diagnosis, that’s the hard part. I’ve found reading books by late diagnosed autistic people very helpful. They made me feel not so alone and helped me embrace my differentness. Remember that you are still the same person but now armed with this new knowledge.

• Welcome to the club!

I echo what has been said. Take time to process, be kind to yourself as I am sure there will be a few peaks and troughs to navigate. You will get support from the forum from people who have lived experience. It may not always be what you want to hear but is always based on lived experience.

• Congratulations! I'm a lot older but just recently diagnosed. I hope that the diagnosis gives your mum some motivation to get to know you better. I don't know how my mum would have reacted if she was alive.

If you decide to stick around on this board, then please consider giving yourself an icon and username (it won't remove this post)

• Congratulations on your diagnosis and welcome to the community!

The NAS has a bunch of post-diagnosis advice here, which could be a great place to start:

https://www.autism.org.uk/advice-and-guidance/topics/diagnosis/after-diagnosis

The only other piece of advice I’d offer right now is that there’s no need to rush with any of this. Your diagnosis is brand new, so give yourself plenty of time and go at your own pace.

Plus, of course, we’re all here whenever you need us - including if you just want to chat or vent.