Christmas Stories

As summer is still getting started, it might seem strange to think about wintry activities! But, we are hoping you might be able to help us, as we start to build our communications for November onwards.

This year, we want to ensure we are fully representing what the festive season and Christmas mean to the autistic community and their families. This means reflecting on the good – the different, fun-filled approaches to the winter holidays – and the bad. We know that for many autistic people and their families, this time of year is fraught with upsetting challenges.

We would like to feature a range of stories to capture all these experiences, as part of our work to increase understanding and to change attitudes, whilst also helping to help raise money to fund our important work.

If you would like to share your story, please do get in touch – we would love to hear from you. Share your experience below or by emailing kate.vickers@nas.org.uk.  

• I don't know what the solution is. This board has good reason to be anonymous, but it would be great if the NAS could verify the accounts a bit better. Even a few weeks ago it seemed that one was safe with a proper name and avatar picture.

• I really do intensely dislike my perpetuating "sensation" that we are treated like blind experimental "subjects" and that our posts and interactions are some sort of AI beta-test gaming space.

Thank you Sparkly for spotting this one with "MASTER" aka Helen.  

• Christmas for me is about being forced to take part in social activities on other people's terms. Let's be clear I do take part in social activities, or try to. But I like to be free to opt in or out of potentially stressful activities. A couple of examples of the worst...

One Christmas my parents decided to visit my sibling in the US. I opted to stay home on my own, pleading straitened financial circumstances. I wasn't (and still am not) diagnosed as autistic, so I felt I had to invent an excuse. I didn't foresee the possibility that my Dad might offer to pay for my flight. In addition to the usual strains of travel, I spent two nightmarish days in a perpetual state of anxiety snow bound in a US airport as connecting flights to all US destinations were cancelled. This was not a good way to spend my holiday; I would have been fine at home on my own. Other people had felt pity for me and drawn me into this hell.

On another occasion I wanted to opt out of the work Christmas meal because I hate being forced to sit down shoulder to shoulder with other people in crowded noisy spaces. Again, as I wasn't diagnosed as autistic, I couldn't give a good reason. I was reprimanded by my boss and felt that I had to go. It was torture.

Every year, I see Christmas looming and wonder what horrible experiences are in store for me.

• I remember Father Christmas bringing me a fully-assembled swing for Christmas when I was a child. It's memorable because unbeknown to me at the time, Father Christmas' elves had assembled the swing in the dark (by torch-light) while it had been snowing. I take my hat off to the elves for having the patience to do that, especially as they must have been frozen, and also incredibly tired. As an adult, it's an anecdote that fills me with amusement and makes me smile.

• A bot? Weird enough that it is copied (AI rewording?) But for a 'Digital Marketer' to be so off-colour as to use something that will be so traumatic to Desmond is really really strange - but probably not strange for an AI bot.

• Helen, I couldn't help but notice that your comment is almost identical to the one left by Desmond79 several days ago. Thinking

I feel that I wish to make up for my lost childhood; by enjoying Christmas. When my father was killed in the Troubles, my family didn't 'celebrate' Christmas that year - also my brother's first Christmas - though, of course, we got toys.

I feel a bit more realistic. Rather than overdo food, and spending, I like to think about the Birth of Christ. Everything else is residue from Paganism.

• I feel like I need to enjoy Christmas to make up for the lost youth. My family didn't "celebrate" Christmas that year because my dad was killed in the Troubles. It was also my brother's first Christmas, but we did get toys.

I'm a little more hopeful. I'd rather think about the birth of Christ than eat too much or spend too much. All the rest is left over from Paganism.

• Think I may have had the same Batmobile one year. I did not get too view the corpse Slight smile

• I hope so if my neighbours could maybe go away for 2 weeks at christmas that would be the best present ever

• Sad memories ?
    You can still look forward to many more happy ones if you keep look forward Santa

• I got a batmobile one year, the one that shot yellow rockets. Then I went to Mcdonalds. Also another year I went to the hospital to visit the 'chapel of care' or whatever they call it. To look at a corpse.

• I wish you well Desmond you have had great sadness.I find Christmas difficult thinking of my mum who dies young and my father who I see little of it is a long story

• I feel that I wish to make up for my lost childhood; by enjoying Christmas. When my father was killed in the Troubles, my family didn't 'celebrate' Christmas that year - also my brother's first Christmas - though, of course, we got toys.

I feel a bit more realistic. Rather than overdo food, and spending, I like to think about the Birth of Christ. Everything else is residue from Paganism.

• I enjoyed reading this, thank you for sharing. I had roughly the same experience as a child although later in life i've found a lot of joy in buying other family members presents, plus my partner gets very excited about the festive season and so I love being around her during this time as it makes it feel very special, but totally understand that for others it all feels artificial for some. Certainly not a rational way to be :) 

• This is how I feel too. 

• Oh dear I will try not to be a damp squib but for me Christmas often makes me sad and lonely recalling family issues etc

• As a child I liked Christmas - I believed in Santa until I was approx 8, when I caught my dad putting my presents in my room, by my bed.

Christmas was never really the same afterwards. It certainly lost any "magic" involved, and at that young age became mostly about the toys. We did not have a large extended family, so the day itself would be a relatively small occasion.

In the last 20+ years, from my mid 20s through to now, Christmas has been more enjoyable, as it is now more about the gifts I get for other people, especially my wife. I usually start acquiring things for her in the latter half of the year, as and when I discover things I hope she'd like.

As an adult I have become estranged from my own family, who are very different to my Autistic self, and I struggled from my late teens onwards with family events, and was undiagnosed. I started to cut ties with most of them about 15 years ago after my father died (he was the best dad you could ask for) and it has made life much better. They were not accepting of my way of living at all, unlike my dad, who was probably on the spectrum and undiagnosed as well.

Fortunately, my wife and her family are very supportive and lovely, and now Christmas is spent hosting them. I enjoy looking after them and making their day special. I've rediscovered some of the "magic" of Christmas in making their Christmas special. Their happiness has reawakened my enjoyment of Christmas and I look forward to it because of them.

• My elder sister was so good to her younger siblings and she used to decorate the house for us so well. One of my best memories is just me and my sister tickling each other on the sofa one Christmas morning. It was so much fun. One that stands out as well was mum who forgot to give me a gift from Santa on my bed in time and may be she thought I outgrew it, but I was a mentally late developer. I woke up with nothing on my bed and complained and my mum left me underwear of all things which I wasn't impressed with to say the least. When the Santa gifting stopped I went outside and looked at the sky wondering if I had been too naughty to get a present from Santa that year. My parents just stopped when I still believed. Another good Christmas was just me and my younger brother. My sister had left home and I tried to give him a good day and it was just really me and him. Another good one was when my dad actually did our Christmas dinner when my mum was abroad.

• I think if they ask at Christmas, it is too late. Forward planning and all that.

I blimmin' love the heck out of Christmas. i know other people don't, but I do.