Christmas Stories

As summer is still getting started, it might seem strange to think about wintry activities! But, we are hoping you might be able to help us, as we start to build our communications for November onwards.

This year, we want to ensure we are fully representing what the festive season and Christmas mean to the autistic community and their families. This means reflecting on the good – the different, fun-filled approaches to the winter holidays – and the bad. We know that for many autistic people and their families, this time of year is fraught with upsetting challenges.

We would like to feature a range of stories to capture all these experiences, as part of our work to increase understanding and to change attitudes, whilst also helping to help raise money to fund our important work.

If you would like to share your story, please do get in touch – we would love to hear from you. Share your experience below or by emailing kate.vickers@nas.org.uk.  

Parents
  • My elder sister was so good to her younger siblings and she used to decorate the house for us so well. One of my best memories is just me and my sister tickling each other on the sofa one Christmas morning. It was so much fun. One that stands out as well was mum who forgot to give me a gift from Santa on my bed in time and may be she thought I outgrew it, but I was a mentally late developer. I woke up with nothing on my bed and complained and my mum left me underwear of all things which I wasn't impressed with to say the least. When the Santa gifting stopped I went outside and looked at the sky wondering if I had been too naughty to get a present from Santa that year. My parents just stopped when I still believed. Another good Christmas was just me and my younger brother. My sister had left home and I tried to give him a good day and it was just really me and him. Another good one was when my dad actually did our Christmas dinner when my mum was abroad.

• My elder sister was so good to her younger siblings and she used to decorate the house for us so well. One of my best memories is just me and my sister tickling each other on the sofa one Christmas morning. It was so much fun. One that stands out as well was mum who forgot to give me a gift from Santa on my bed in time and may be she thought I outgrew it, but I was a mentally late developer. I woke up with nothing on my bed and complained and my mum left me underwear of all things which I wasn't impressed with to say the least. When the Santa gifting stopped I went outside and looked at the sky wondering if I had been too naughty to get a present from Santa that year. My parents just stopped when I still believed. Another good Christmas was just me and my younger brother. My sister had left home and I tried to give him a good day and it was just really me and him. Another good one was when my dad actually did our Christmas dinner when my mum was abroad.

Children
No Data