Christmas Stories

As summer is still getting started, it might seem strange to think about wintry activities! But, we are hoping you might be able to help us, as we start to build our communications for November onwards.

This year, we want to ensure we are fully representing what the festive season and Christmas mean to the autistic community and their families. This means reflecting on the good – the different, fun-filled approaches to the winter holidays – and the bad. We know that for many autistic people and their families, this time of year is fraught with upsetting challenges.

We would like to feature a range of stories to capture all these experiences, as part of our work to increase understanding and to change attitudes, whilst also helping to help raise money to fund our important work.

If you would like to share your story, please do get in touch – we would love to hear from you. Share your experience below or by emailing kate.vickers@nas.org.uk.  

Parents
  • I feel that I wish to make up for my lost childhood; by enjoying Christmas. When my father was killed in the Troubles, my family didn't 'celebrate' Christmas that year - also my brother's first Christmas - though, of course, we got toys.

I feel a bit more realistic. Rather than overdo food, and spending, I like to think about the Birth of Christ. Everything else is residue from Paganism.

• I feel that I wish to make up for my lost childhood; by enjoying Christmas. When my father was killed in the Troubles, my family didn't 'celebrate' Christmas that year - also my brother's first Christmas - though, of course, we got toys.

I feel a bit more realistic. Rather than overdo food, and spending, I like to think about the Birth of Christ. Everything else is residue from Paganism.

Children