Sport, Sport and more Sport

Everything messed up again tonight on telly, because of football, then next week more football and tennis to muck everything up even more. Some of us hate sport, the only way I would notice if sport dropped off the planet would be because tv schedules wern't messed up. I think it's a waste of licence fee money, why can't the terresrial channels get together and have a seperate free to view sports channel seeing as it seems so important?

Rant over.... for now!

• It's happened again today too,

• Yeah, great, the olympics, another waste of money and no decent tv until at least september and probably not much of that because all the budget will have been used up on sport.

I record stuff and rarely watch it live, I've usually got a 20 min lag between when the program starts and when I'm ready to watch it. Thats of when it's on time, on the right channel and hasn't been moved to the middle of the night. My humax box is getting old and I don't know if it's that, or our internet or if the really long cable we have to have to go from the hub to the box is the problem, but it was painful trying to watch Channel 4 on demand the other night, you can't avoid adverts and it takes so long to load and theres loads of buffering.

I watch tv with my Mum in the living room, not locked away in my room, with the humax box being the way it is I dread to think what it would be like trying to watch on you-tube or something and we have no subscriptions.

I was thinking of a smart tv, but don't really know much about them, if I'd be able to use one, would it do what I want it too, would Mum be able to get her head round using it, she's even worse with tech than me. Given the broad band problems with our house would I still have to plug one into the hub, are they wireless, would I have to have a dongle or what? I find it very difficult to get answers from shop staff, when there are any and they tend to rattle off a load of stuff that isn't what I asked and when, Paxman like, I keep repeating the question they get cross and we all get frustrated and I leave feeling even more alienated and confused.

• I like football but I don’t really follow the euros. Don’t get why people fight when they’re drunk just men competing against each other I guess. I support my team and that’s it I don’t follow the euros at all. Dunno why I just don’t feel the same buzz about the euros like I do for my favourite team. I’m not at all nationalistic and certainly don’t feel proud to be Scottish or even British. I think we live in a sh*thole of a country no offence to anyone who is British and proud. But nah I can’t get behind my home country I just can’t do it. I can’t support scotland and feel proud about it. I feel more connected to my Irish heritage for sure. Never been a big fan of Scottish Nationalism. Just all round don’t think Scotland is that great a country and certainly don’t think it for England either. 

• Some of us hate sport

I can't stand football but worked for a major football organisation for 5 years - I wan't afraid to tell my colleagues that I had no interest in it and in fact it was a benefit as I wasn't distracted by the business and could focus on the job I had to do in the IT team.

It did get me some odd reactions when I was helping the managers of Arsenal of Man City when they couldn't connect their computer to the screens as they seemed to expect me to be fawning over them.  They were a bit taken aback when I pointed out (using stern school teacher mode) that they hadn't even connected the cable so it was their fault.

Even when players were coming in for their awards for best player etc I didn't know who they were which made some of them puzzled. I really couldn't care less.

I've pretty much given up on terrestrial TV and used streaming or downloading to get the programs I want and watch them on my schedule. I dislike being tied to the schedule of others but that is probaby linked to Pathalogical Demand Avoidance.

• The Olympics starts on July 26th. 

• Every one in my family loves sport, even my mum. My eighty eight grandfather sits wearing his football shirt and shorts. He gets real excited. Grin

Me?
    I'm the exception, the black sheep who doesn't get crazy about sport. I'd rather watch something like Hot Fuzz or do some gaming.

I hope you feel better after your rant.Slight smile

• I'm following the football as got a chart to fill in.

• As someone who follows TV viewing figures almost for a living, most sporting broadcasts now get more viewers than what they would be replacing. Significantly more so in most cases. 

• Ranting now as my programmes are cancelled due to the football. I like to watch the tennis. That's a good idea to have a free channel for sport, even though temporary.