Acceptance or giving up?

As most of you know I'm a total technoklutz and I can crash pretty much anything that has a microchip and often in a totally bizarre way.

I'm havig a debate with myself and with a couple of others too, about whether I'm accepting that I'm a klutz and can't do it and so letting go of putting myself under pressure about it, or am I giving up and tellig myself I can't do it, despite all the evidence to the contrary?

• You're a very persistant lot, does nobody accept they might have limitations?

• Frank, I've no idea what you're talking about, what is an edge case?

A big part of the problem is my memory, certain things going straight to long term memory storage without ever passing or pausing in short term memory means I have no synaptic links to access the information. I know I've done C&P before but every time is like the first and I end up losing stuff. I have tried the one thing at a time way and it didn't work, partly because either I did something wrong or those who were "helping" me start questioning why I want to do things, I don't get helped I get told off or laughed at, sometimes people hide from me when I want tech help. I get so frustrated when people say 'it's intuitive', I ask intuitive for whom? Because it's certainly not me, I think some things like smart phones maybe intuitive if you've grown up with them and have had the previous half a dozen models.

I think part of the problem is that I don't really know what I'd want to do, I can't be doing with Youtube, it really annoys me and without speakers and stuff its not really accessable, I have tried the videos and stuff and just didn't find they matched my learning style and a lot of the presenters annoyed me, theres to much irritating music, adverts and voices, especially American ones. With American stuff you have to translate as you go as they call so many things different names to us, like flashlight instead of torch, translating stuff like that as well as trying to understand what they're talking about is too much. I don't really go anywhere so sat navs and stuff are pointless, I've never had much success with sat navs when I have tried using them, they don't work so well in remote areas. I don't listen to radio or podcasts, I hate ear pods and headphones they really bring on PTSD, I can' timagine why I'd want to watch tv on a phone. I wouldn't use facebook as I don't trust it, I might use whatsapp but I don't know, I might use it for one other person. I don't play games and never really have, I find the iinformation I want is either behind a paywall or is to simplistic when I'm trying to do research or something, I find pdf files a nighmare. I don't download stuff myself because it stops half way through and asks me questions I don't understand and/or turns out to be the wrong thing

People often talk to me about apple, mac and android and I don't really know what the different is apart from the dictionary one of one uses apple and the other google and that means? Because I can never have a go with stuff I never get to see the advantages and disadvantages of different systems. People get very protective of their prefered system and it seem like its getting to be one of those things guaranteed to start an argument, rather like religion and politcs, none of which helps me.

I wouldn't dare do online banking, with my ability to crash things I'd probably bring the whole world banking system to a halt, get hunted by international anti-terroist forces and nobody would believe it was an accident.

I'd love to work as a tester for tech, how would I apply and where?

I have had some tutoring, but it didn't work out so well, one was at college, it was all going along smoothly with the tutor standing behind me telling me what to do, he said to send something to print, so I did and everything stopped working, the entire college had to reboot their pooters and it was ages before anyone could print again, they kept me away from the pooters after that. When I was at uni I had a special tutor who's first comments were complaints about why I'd got a lap top instead of a desk top, then he refused to teach me what I needed to know like how to insert and do references in essays because that all came later in his teaching program. It seemed like everything I did for him was wrong, like using the backspace key instead of highlighting with the mouse and hitting delete, even for a couple of words. I asked him why and he said the computer didn't like it and wouldn't explain futher and that was a step to far even for me and my tendency towards magical thinking. A friend had similar problems with him and we both "sacked" him.

• I'm similar, I break tech all the time... I got paid a lot of money for deliberately breaking stuff at work when I was a tester, that was fun. So I think you are a highly skilled tester. It is a rare skill! The off/on button is our friend.

Keep trying and you will find the things that work. I don't like using Windows at work, so I have a Mac at home, but I have an android phone with most of the apps deleted. I just install the ones I want.

My challenge is all the 'renewals' I have to search for more competitive quotes for just now - all the insurances, phone, broadband, energy, seems everything is up this month, but I'm trying to focus on one per week to get through it. Internet searching is my nightmare, and then making the decision about which one to pick based on little information.... I know I have to do it as the renewals are all about £100 more expensive than changing to a cheaper alternative, so I have to get myself going on that.

• From your description, it sounds more like the technology you've used, doesn't allow for edge cases when it's used differently (e.g. Autistic mind) it breaks. After years of that, I found that Apple products are the best for Autism accomodations, and they simply don't crash.

Consider that maybe the technology is the klutz.

• I don't think you should give up, nor do I think you should assume it's something you can't do.

Totally understand that it stresses you out, probably makes you feel you might put yourself at risk and all sorts of other feelings , that when added up , make it distressing to approach. These are good things though, imagine just jumping in without a care and getting scammed or mucking stuff up, caution is a useful skill in itself.

I reckon you should try and break it down a bit. Work out and write a list of the things you want to do or know how to do with tech, maybe it's forums, banking, general stuff like the copy and paste thing, then approach them one at a time.

There's lots of YouTube videos and tutorials online that explains things right from basics upwards. You can watch or read these at your own pace, how ever many times you need to. This might be better than having someone show you in person, I think you said you'd done an instructor lead type course that didn't go well?

Lots of techies on here too and those who have been taught well in IT are taught that "there's no such thing as a stupid question" , it's said in every design and analysis course I've ever been on. If we don't ask questions we never learn...

Everyone's got a nemesis, I reckon you can beat this one.