Mode of transport: car, bike, legs, magic carpet, teleporter?

How do you get about and are you happy with your mode of transport?

I used my legs, pushbike, moped, buses and trains until 17 years ago when I got my 1st car.

Now my car has died and I don't anticipate being able to drive again, for various reasons.

I'm wanting to make the best of this - far less expense and what I find the unpleasant experience of driving and grappling with other aggressive drivers.

I might get fitter.

I do have a couple of people who would be willing to give me lifts when necessary.

Any upsides anyone can see to me being car free, but also, what about you?

ps.  I no longer work, so that's a huge advantage when not having your own transport.

Parents
  • Ugh honestly I wish I didn't drive lol it's a lot of hassle having to navigate my way through busy junctions and anticipate the moves of other car drivers and pedestrians...

That being said I need my car. All my family lives miles apart and seeing them without a car isn't really possible and since my local government closed my nearest hospital I now have to travel nearly 30 miles just to get to the hospital, which because of my lupus I need to on a regular basis. The local buses have been cut too. Crazy, they make it so hard for people who don't drive.

My car is a necessity, unfortunately.

But for me I prefer my feet for transportation. Their quiet and I can move very quickly if needs be lol. 

I'm envious of you not driving but I'm glad you've got people around to give you lifts when you need one. 

• 30 miles!? Jesus. I find a 7 mile journey to the nearest hospital (for the department I see) tiring.

Busy roundabouts are the bane of my existence, especially with no traffic lights. 

• Would you believe it, but in certain parts of Dublin they have roundabouts with traffic lights, such as around Blanchardstown and Castleknock, where the M3 meets the M50 - and further down towards Dublin, the Halfway House towards Ashtown and the Phoneix Park Racecourse has “signal controlled roundabouts” which they also have off the M1 into Dublin Airport and when approaching the village of Swords 

• In the 22 years that I’ve lived in the U.K. the Irish roads have really come on by leaps and bounds, the M3 Motorway to Navan now bypasses Dunshaughlin village and the old N3 has been re-designated to a secondary route through our village, but the traffic coming from Dublin at evening rush hour is just as heavy, as people don’t want to pay the tolls - an early morning coach coming from Dublin just sails through, even though it goes on the old routes, not through Blanchardstown Village but via the Shopping Centre, not via Mulhuddart and via Clonee, not via Dunboyne -  t there is a lot of new houses around Dunshaughlin now and there are plans by the Irish government to extend the M3 Parkway rail line to Navan, which hopefully will have a station in Dunshaughlin, which will make the journey from the Irish Ferries Terminal to Dublin Docklands station so much easier - at Dublin Port they do have the M50 Port Tunnel but Bus Éireann still don’t have coach services from there 

• In the 22 years that I’ve lived in the U.K. the Irish roads have really come on by leaps and bounds, the M3 Motorway to Navan now bypasses Dunshaughlin village and the old N3 has been re-designated to a secondary route through our village, but the traffic coming from Dublin at evening rush hour is just as heavy, as people don’t want to pay the tolls - an early morning coach coming from Dublin just sails through, even though it goes on the old routes, not through Blanchardstown Village but via the Shopping Centre, not via Mulhuddart and via Clonee, not via Dunboyne -  t there is a lot of new houses around Dunshaughlin now and there are plans by the Irish government to extend the M3 Parkway rail line to Navan, which hopefully will have a station in Dunshaughlin, which will make the journey from the Irish Ferries Terminal to Dublin Docklands station so much easier - at Dublin Port they do have the M50 Port Tunnel but Bus Éireann still don’t have coach services from there 

Children
No Data