Mode of transport: car, bike, legs, magic carpet, teleporter?

How do you get about and are you happy with your mode of transport?

I used my legs, pushbike, moped, buses and trains until 17 years ago when I got my 1st car.

Now my car has died and I don't anticipate being able to drive again, for various reasons.

I'm wanting to make the best of this - far less expense and what I find the unpleasant experience of driving and grappling with other aggressive drivers.

I might get fitter.

I do have a couple of people who would be willing to give me lifts when necessary.

Any upsides anyone can see to me being car free, but also, what about you?

ps.  I no longer work, so that's a huge advantage when not having your own transport.

Parents
  • Ugh honestly I wish I didn't drive lol it's a lot of hassle having to navigate my way through busy junctions and anticipate the moves of other car drivers and pedestrians...

That being said I need my car. All my family lives miles apart and seeing them without a car isn't really possible and since my local government closed my nearest hospital I now have to travel nearly 30 miles just to get to the hospital, which because of my lupus I need to on a regular basis. The local buses have been cut too. Crazy, they make it so hard for people who don't drive.

My car is a necessity, unfortunately.

But for me I prefer my feet for transportation. Their quiet and I can move very quickly if needs be lol. 

I'm envious of you not driving but I'm glad you've got people around to give you lifts when you need one. 

• Ugh honestly I wish I didn't drive lol it's a lot of hassle having to navigate my way through busy junctions and anticipate the moves of other car drivers and pedestrians...

That being said I need my car. All my family lives miles apart and seeing them without a car isn't really possible and since my local government closed my nearest hospital I now have to travel nearly 30 miles just to get to the hospital, which because of my lupus I need to on a regular basis. The local buses have been cut too. Crazy, they make it so hard for people who don't drive.

My car is a necessity, unfortunately.

But for me I prefer my feet for transportation. Their quiet and I can move very quickly if needs be lol. 

I'm envious of you not driving but I'm glad you've got people around to give you lifts when you need one. 

Children
  • since my local government closed my nearest hospital I now have to travel nearly 30 miles just to get to the hospital, which because of my lupus I need to on a regular basis.

That's a pain.

Sorry to hear this.

When I was younger I always wanted to live in the countryside, somewhere quite isolated, but besides the fact that I couldn't afford it (it's always much more expensive to buy a rural house in the south east of England) I knew one day it would make me isolated and cut-off.

Now I can walk to the shops etc.

• 30 miles!? Jesus. I find a 7 mile journey to the nearest hospital (for the department I see) tiring.

Busy roundabouts are the bane of my existence, especially with no traffic lights.