Emotional Attachment Bonds In Autistic Adults: Why’s This Not Talked About?

When I was a child I had formed a strong emotional attachment to my grandmother. If she left me to go to the store I would have a fit the entire time until she came back and when she died when I was 10 it was the end of the world for me. I can’t go to her grave because I lose my mind and every fiber of my being just wants to lay there and die just to be with her again. Since then I have had only one attachment to someone that is just as strong and because there’s not a lot about it and it’s only a “stereotype” of Autistic children, it’s hard for the neurotypical who I have the bond with to see how much trust that means that I have for them and understand it, even now I fear saying more about it because I don’t want it to get misunderstood and I just don’t know why these emotional attachment bonds aren’t discussed and only Autistic children are seen with these bonds and no one has an issue with it but if it’s an adult who’s Autistic that has the same thing it’s like no one wants to be understanding about it at all. I just don’t understand why Autistic adults having this isn’t discussed much?

Parents
  • I'm sure it is talked about, within wider topics.

E.g. one of the recent ones I've had to deal with is my therapist. Transference is a thing within the therapy sphere, and it almost definitely happens to neurotypical people as well.

• I struggle with attachment with my therapist as well. It's a difficult one because I know she's just a therapist but at the same time I talk to her so much, open up about my deepest thoughts and I feel connected to her because of it. I worry about the day when I'm no longer able to see her. 

• I'm the same. My therapist is autistic too which I think is almost entirely the reason, combined with the fact she feels like the sort of person I'd get along with in the real world anyway.

There's no shame in feeling attached. I speak to mine about it and she assures me that it's completely normal.

• Hopefully you get to find one that works for you. 

• Thank you, you seem nice too. I hope you get what you want out of therapy. Slight smile

• If it helps then it helps and that's a good thing to hang on to. I'm sure she does like you, you sound a genuinely nice person.

Slight smile 

• It would have been nice to have an Autistic therapist. They would understand so much better than neurotypical ones. Not that they don’t understand it but it’s not the same is when it comes from someone who has to experience it themselves.

• I mean, I get that I don't know the full extent of who she is really. For all I know, she could have off putting habits.

I'm probably going to hang on to it for as long as I can. The belief that someone likes me, at least within this context, is what I need for now. 

• Yes it does help, in fact it makes a massive difference and I think that's what counts the most. 

That's what I like about my therapist, she knows everything but she doesn't judge. She knows where it comes from and she justifies it in her way, no judgement, no looking down on me for it.

I love that she's always so nice about everything.

She reassures me that there are people like her in the real world but I don't know. 

This is something that bothers me as well. I get told this a lot... but my experience so far has been that no one understands and everybody judges and that leads to lack of confidence and other problems.

My therapist is literally the only person who seems to understand and like the real me.

• It helps to have someone who understands that it's a process. CBT therapists appear to think we can just change our mindset and our lives will improve.

I've a lot of bad habits which I think she's aware of, but understands where it comes from.

There's times I feel a real sense of grief over the fact my therapist will never be anything else. She reassures me that there are people like her in the real world but I don't know. 

• Hopefully your therapist will help you be able to better understand and manage things like your singing and hopefully in managing friendships.

I feel the same way with my therapist. It's like no masking required...I don't have any friends unfortunately but I find even with my own family I can't be myself. I constantly mask and put on a version of myself which I think they prefer and like.

My therapist says this is unhealthy but I've done it for such a long time it's hard to switch off if that makes sense.

It's easier for me to believe if, like my therapist, the person appears to want me to do well. I think that's the main thing, if they're saying it and it's not just surface level stuff.

I completely relate to this!!! 

• Hopefully your therapist will help you be able to better understand and manage things like your singing and hopefully in managing friendships.

I feel the same way with my therapist. It's like no masking required...I don't have any friends unfortunately but I find even with my own family I can't be myself. I constantly mask and put on a version of myself which I think they prefer and like.

My therapist says this is unhealthy but I've done it for such a long time it's hard to switch off if that makes sense.

It's easier for me to believe if, like my therapist, the person appears to want me to do well. I think that's the main thing, if they're saying it and it's not just surface level stuff.

I completely relate to this!!! 

Children
  • Thank you, you seem nice too. I hope you get what you want out of therapy. Slight smile

• If it helps then it helps and that's a good thing to hang on to. I'm sure she does like you, you sound a genuinely nice person.

Slight smile 

• I mean, I get that I don't know the full extent of who she is really. For all I know, she could have off putting habits.

I'm probably going to hang on to it for as long as I can. The belief that someone likes me, at least within this context, is what I need for now. 

• Yes it does help, in fact it makes a massive difference and I think that's what counts the most. 

That's what I like about my therapist, she knows everything but she doesn't judge. She knows where it comes from and she justifies it in her way, no judgement, no looking down on me for it.

I love that she's always so nice about everything.

She reassures me that there are people like her in the real world but I don't know. 

This is something that bothers me as well. I get told this a lot... but my experience so far has been that no one understands and everybody judges and that leads to lack of confidence and other problems.

My therapist is literally the only person who seems to understand and like the real me.

• It helps to have someone who understands that it's a process. CBT therapists appear to think we can just change our mindset and our lives will improve.

I've a lot of bad habits which I think she's aware of, but understands where it comes from.

There's times I feel a real sense of grief over the fact my therapist will never be anything else. She reassures me that there are people like her in the real world but I don't know.