Generation Anxiety: smartphones have created a gen Z mental health crisis – but there are ways to fix it

Parents
  • Do you have a smartphone and if not, why not?

Does the absence isolate you?

Also, what is your relationship with your phone?

I keep mine at as good a distance emotionally and intellectually as I can manage, but having a rather obsessive personality, I find myself checking it more often than I would like.

However, I do turn off all notifications for peace of mind.

• I have a phone. I got one a few years ago for my 13th birthday. My Mum says I use it too much, I think she thinks I'm up to mischief which isn't true. 

On my phone I spend most of my time looking up things I'm interested in, as I really like learning about things like that. I like to use YT and watch music videos or interviews of my fav celebs. I browse eBay and look at all the things I want to buy, some of them are realistic and others are my biggest dream buys like diamond necklaces which I'll probably never afford in my wildest dreams!

I like looking up pics of my fav celebs like Taylor Swift, admiring her appearance and wishing I could look like her or sing like her.

Sometimes I play games on my phone but not often.

I like that I can access online communities like this one, that gives me the interaction I need in my life without actually having to go out and interact. Without technology I would be totally isolated and alone.

My relationship with it is good, healthy IMO. I don't think it affects my mental health. 

I likely spend too much time on it. My phone records my daily screen time and generally I'll spend between 14-16 hours on my phone each day. But I've got insomnia as well and this is generally what I use when I can't sleep.

I could live without it. I would use my laptop like I used to when I was growing up but I like how easy and simple smartphones are. They're accessible and I like that.

I always keep my phone on silent so it doesn't ring and I don't get bombarded with notifications. Then again I rarely get notifications anyway.

I try to never talk on my phone if I can help it. 

• I like that I can access online communities like this one, that gives me the interaction I need in my life without actually having to go out and interact. Without technology I would be totally isolated and alone.

I feel the same as you on this.

There actually is a 'technology' thread somewhere too.

I'm generally positive about it but then I think as a 60+ year old, I've come from such an utterly different life where communication was quite basic (when I was really young) that I can more effectively be in control I think than some young people.

If I was wanting friends now, then I'd probably have to engage more in social media, which can be a nest of vipers.

I'm glad it's a positive thing for you.

• (I am not GenZ).

I find with Social Media (and smartphones) I try to be strict about using them "my way" for the benefit of myself and those whom I care about ...and remind myself (regularly) that I am under no obligation to use those platforms / smartphone apps / features and settings which do not support me well.

I have always been quite a visual learner so I like things like e.g.:

- using different colours on a smartphone calendar (so I don't need to open the event as the colour choice is enough to remind me e.g. Attend something versus doing something),

- using Zoom / MS Teams to access online courses / observe or join in topical discussions on my terms e.g. I am curious about this  international event later today www.un.org/.../autism-day (the recordings from last year's event are available to provide an idea of what it might be like today),

- using Facebook just for being able to a) join select interest groups & b) FaceTime with people (I know in the real World) who are stuck at home or hospital while they recover from illness or treatment.

• I don't find social media very friendly or social, it's another way to feel lonely in a crowd and the bullying is worse than in "real" life as every arm chair warrior feels it's their "right" to comment negatively on the lives of strangers.

Absolutely.

Perfectly expressed.

Reply Children
No Data