Generation Anxiety: smartphones have created a gen Z mental health crisis – but there are ways to fix it

Parents
  • Do you have a smartphone and if not, why not?

Does the absence isolate you?

Also, what is your relationship with your phone?

I keep mine at as good a distance emotionally and intellectually as I can manage, but having a rather obsessive personality, I find myself checking it more often than I would like.

However, I do turn off all notifications for peace of mind.

• I have a phone. I got one a few years ago for my 13th birthday. My Mum says I use it too much, I think she thinks I'm up to mischief which isn't true. 

On my phone I spend most of my time looking up things I'm interested in, as I really like learning about things like that. I like to use YT and watch music videos or interviews of my fav celebs. I browse eBay and look at all the things I want to buy, some of them are realistic and others are my biggest dream buys like diamond necklaces which I'll probably never afford in my wildest dreams!

I like looking up pics of my fav celebs like Taylor Swift, admiring her appearance and wishing I could look like her or sing like her.

Sometimes I play games on my phone but not often.

I like that I can access online communities like this one, that gives me the interaction I need in my life without actually having to go out and interact. Without technology I would be totally isolated and alone.

My relationship with it is good, healthy IMO. I don't think it affects my mental health. 

I likely spend too much time on it. My phone records my daily screen time and generally I'll spend between 14-16 hours on my phone each day. But I've got insomnia as well and this is generally what I use when I can't sleep.

I could live without it. I would use my laptop like I used to when I was growing up but I like how easy and simple smartphones are. They're accessible and I like that.

I always keep my phone on silent so it doesn't ring and I don't get bombarded with notifications. Then again I rarely get notifications anyway.

I try to never talk on my phone if I can help it. 

• I like that I can access online communities like this one, that gives me the interaction I need in my life without actually having to go out and interact. Without technology I would be totally isolated and alone.

I feel the same as you on this.

There actually is a 'technology' thread somewhere too.

I'm generally positive about it but then I think as a 60+ year old, I've come from such an utterly different life where communication was quite basic (when I was really young) that I can more effectively be in control I think than some young people.

If I was wanting friends now, then I'd probably have to engage more in social media, which can be a nest of vipers.

I'm glad it's a positive thing for you.

• I like that I can access online communities like this one, that gives me the interaction I need in my life without actually having to go out and interact. Without technology I would be totally isolated and alone.

I feel the same as you on this.

There actually is a 'technology' thread somewhere too.

I'm generally positive about it but then I think as a 60+ year old, I've come from such an utterly different life where communication was quite basic (when I was really young) that I can more effectively be in control I think than some young people.

If I was wanting friends now, then I'd probably have to engage more in social media, which can be a nest of vipers.

I'm glad it's a positive thing for you.

Children
  • (I am not GenZ).

I find with Social Media (and smartphones) I try to be strict about using them "my way" for the benefit of myself and those whom I care about ...and remind myself (regularly) that I am under no obligation to use those platforms / smartphone apps / features and settings which do not support me well.

I have always been quite a visual learner so I like things like e.g.:

- using different colours on a smartphone calendar (so I don't need to open the event as the colour choice is enough to remind me e.g. Attend something versus doing something),

- using Zoom / MS Teams to access online courses / observe or join in topical discussions on my terms e.g. I am curious about this  international event later today www.un.org/.../autism-day (the recordings from last year's event are available to provide an idea of what it might be like today),

- using Facebook just for being able to a) join select interest groups & b) FaceTime with people (I know in the real World) who are stuck at home or hospital while they recover from illness or treatment.

• I don't find social media very friendly or social, it's another way to feel lonely in a crowd and the bullying is worse than in "real" life as every arm chair warrior feels it's their "right" to comment negatively on the lives of strangers.

Absolutely.

Perfectly expressed.

• Debbie I think I may have started that thread. It's quite funny talking to young people about our young lives, I remember a young friends face nearly sliding off the front of his head when I said there was no daytime tv when I was a child.

Lot's of people never had a telephone, it was a mixed blessing, going to the phone box was a apin but it offered some privacy, as phones were generally in the hall or living room and everyone could hear who you were talking too and what about.

I used to like writing letter's and enjoyed the thud of post arriving on the door mat, I use email instead now, I still like written communication as I find it more thoughtful and considered.

I don't find social media very friendly or social, it's another way to feel lonely in a crowd and the bullying is worse than in "real" life as every arm chair warrior feels it's their "right" to comment negatively on the lives of strangers.

• Do you remember "party line"s, Debbie?

I remember that they were a 'thing' but we never had one.

We didn't have a phone at home until the late 1970s - when I was a teenager and then I was hardly ever allowed to use it because of the cost of calls.

Yes, I remember waiting for, and writing letters.

• Do you remember "party line"s, Debbie? When I was young in a rural backwater, there would be one phone number shared between a whole area and they had to share. They could also listen in to each others conversations.

I also remember standing by the post box, hoping for letters from friends. I had pen pals more than in-person pals. I wrote all the time, and read a lot of sci fi.