Generative AI is transforming how humans use dating apps and even spurring real people to romance AI chatbots.

• It scares me that AI is literally everywhere now. On Insta sometimes I get random messages and later on the account is deleted because it turned out to be a spam account but before that happens I've replied and it's replied and I wasn't even aware it was a bot rather than an actual person.

My older brother has done online dating and he said last year that half the people he spoke to were just AI and it was really hard to tell them apart from real people because they write well and are convincing.

It's a shame because technology is amazing. It really is incredible what's available now and what we can do with phones and computers.. .. .. But at the same time it's scary too, knowing that AI is so advanced that it can actually be mistaken for the real deal.

• I've just read that Time article.

Personally, I think the notion of AI systems deserving rights is absurd.

In addition, if younger generations form close attachments with AI, I worry that they will lose touch with reality and end up living in pure fantasy land... A fantasy land that they sadly believe to be just as real as human-to-human interactions.

• The comments are interesting.

A mixture of belief and scepticism.

Thanks for sharing.

• The audio does sound AI generated to me. But the video is quite convincing. But if they got a human being to provide the soundtrack you wouldn’t of realised it was not real.

• That's called "cognitive dissonance". Probably he thinks that for some reasons, the traditional Roman Catholics will persecute all the sodomites but tolerate him because he's a good Christian. It's the same thought pattern of those people that vote for racists, homophobes, capitalist or religious fanatics, then act all surprised when the people they voted for actually oppress THEM.

• Do you know that according to those "tradition and traditional values", people like you should be [CENSOR] and [CENSOR]? I am old enough to remember the Roman Catholics before Vatican II, they were quite a bunch of raging homophobes. 

• IAll that and just handing it over all that data - It's a data hoovering hunting expedition. I would stay away myself til after they realize this new tower of babel falls.

• I’ll keep my thoughts to myself in future.

Please don't do that, for a wide variety of reasons, a couple being:

1. Your contribution to this thread bearing in mind your expertise, is invaluable.

2.  Challenging ideas is how the world moves on from prejudice, stupidity and greed, to name a few.

Where would sexism, homophobia and racism (for example) be now without those who challenged the ingrained bigotry?

Please keep on challenging, as I will do, until the day I leave this world (on a spaceship).

at times I feel like I’m “choosing not to comment” so much that I’d be better off not reading this forum at all.

I share the same problem.

Sometimes I've been horrified by what I've read here, particularly in relation to attitudes to women, and I've left.

A mute facility on the forum would help preserve my sanity

I would appreciate a mute button too (in life as well as on this forum).

• NO.....don't do that !  We should be here for each other ... I hope you know that I am, for you, should you need that?!  PLEASE do not keep your thoughts to yourself...please keep expressing them, as you feel the need to.  That's honesty, that is.  Just because you and I both seem to feel that, perhaps, we should be "being stronger" in our stated "reactions" to things.......doesn't mean that what we are doing now & have done so far is wrong headed.

Hotel rooms can be grim when you are own  ... especially when the day ahead is daunting.  Add that to a day of high pressure ... and a good autist will feel bug gered?!

Get some kip dude....waxing lyrical with me now ain't gonna help di ck in the morn.

I wish you well for a sound night's kip...and restorative and productive (or at least survivable) day tomorrow.

I'm turning in myself now.

Godspeed.

Number.

• Sorry. I’ve had a long and anxious day at a work event and am sitting in a hotel room dreading day two tomorrow.

Sorry if I took this out on others. I’ll keep my thoughts to myself in future.

• FYI - I've certainly not noticed you be "snippy" with regulars recently.  [and btw - great word!]

but at times I feel like I’m “choosing not to comment” so much that I’d be better off not reading this forum at all.

This is why I asked the question of you above.....I am feeling the same!

Unlike you, however, I don't think there is ANYTHING that could be done on this forum (alone) to preserve my sanity.......I'm too far gone on that score brother!

• I understand and mostly do the same, but at times I feel like I’m “choosing not to comment” so much that I’d be better off not reading this forum at all.

I realise I’ve been a bit snippy with a couple of regulars here in the last week. A mute facility on the forum would help preserve my sanity.

• Me too brother......but I draw a line at banging my head at a brick wall....if that circumstance were to occur, then I choose to not comment!?  I hope we know each other well enough now for me to say that without all the usual NT nonsense?!  I trust you do know that I'm not trying to point-score here.....my question is genuine and predicated on personal betterment.  I worry that I do not "speak my truth" enough and that I allow logic and "plain sailing" to prevail over "The Good Fight?"

• What can I say, I value logical and consistent thought!

• Dude !  I understand the question (and reasoning behind it)......and your basic "make-up" and the basic "make-up" of IrishInManchester.....but despite these facts.....I struggle to understand, what good can come from this question that you pose?

Notwithstanding my queries above, I do commend you (for what that might be worth) for your careful, thoughtful and measured language in asking that question.....God bless you for that!

Your humble and respectful observer,

Number.

• But why arbitrarily pick a date like 2000 as the cut off point?

I wouldn’t even be able to type out this message on my phone if we abandoned all 21st century technology.

As for traditional values, you must know better than anyone how the Catholic Church has treated those with “non-traditional” sexual orientations.

• As I’ve grown older, I’ve gradually seen the wisdom of protecting and cherishing the inherent value of tradition and traditional values, as I’ve also witnessed the misuse of scientific and technological advancements at the same time - when something new comes in, we must be very, very careful about accepting it and embracing it for its own sake - it does not matter about the year, this or that - “progress” is not always a good thing