Things you did that looking back make your realise you were autistic

I was only recently diagnosed a few years ago, and I've been looking back and thinking about things I did when I was a child that were definitely signs of being on the spectrum. 

I went through a very intense phase of eating everything with a spork, especially one meal in particular - rye bread with hummus on, topped with a little bit of green Tabasco sauce. This was after my enlightening experience of going to Leeds Festival for my birthday when I was 12 and camping over the weekend, having eaten everything using a spork. 

That and eating any noodles or pasta with one of those spinning Pot Noodle forks.... good times. :-)

Looking back, I can realise why my mum definitely thought I was autistic. 

I'd love to know if anyone has any similar things that they liked/did that looking back you realise were signs you were autistic. 

• couldnt anti-psycotics have made the voices stop?

• i think being a writer is a very common big thing.

as writing is communication without the weird having to speak, without the noise. without the losing what you was going to say and starting to stutter as you try to piece together the words lol im more of a writer. but i have tried to learn how to speak better by picturing what im going to say as writing in my head.... which i dunno it may have helped me a bit but id still get lost in what id say.

• Depends of your idea of "ok". I have a house, a good job and money in the bank, so I am in the top 10% of aspies. Nearly all the aspies I have met would trade my life with theirs (and I would NOT accept the trade).

• never fitting in, being the isolated outcast. having anxiety in social situations that in places such as the time i attempted to go to a night club the noise lights and social stimulus cause me to involuntary shake and stutter as if i was cold but not cold, as if i was spiked with drugs but hadnt been.

my lack of speaking verbally combined with perhaps a ecolalia of repeated phrases to break the awkward silences which becomes involuntary almost like tourettes, which was most obvious one in high school but yet no one gave a turd to look into it.

oh and the one time someone told me im autistic, which i took offence to at the time thinking it was a insult but only later realising it wasnt a insult but a suggestion, which again shows a lack of understanding intent and immediately defensively thinking it was a attack or put down.

• Great discussion!

There have been lots of clues about me being autistic, however there are a few main ones:

•  I have been and will always be an avid observer of human interaction- I much preferred to watch people chat or play rather than engage with them.
    •  I have always been a very deep and analytical thinker- often questioning the meaning of life at a young age.
    • Lots of vocal stims as a child 
    • Love of learning- my interests have also been revolved around collecting facts and information.
    • Strengths in written communication- I have always been a very natural writer 
    • Attention to detail and pattern recognition- I used to memorise car number plates as a child 

And many more….

• Eating was a major thing too.

My mum despaired of my what she called fussyness, and told me in later years that she would grate vegetables into the few things I would eat.

• Good question.

Loads actually (diagnosed at 60).

Similar to Judge, my mum (who I believe was autistic) had the TV or radio on LOUD constantly.

She couldn't bear silence.

So, I would stuff cotton wool in my ears and sleep with the pillow over my head.

I was constantly asking her to turn things down but she got annoyed - I think she had under sensitivity to sound.

I experienced a lot of Pica - I ate my toys regularly and my gloves and anything near my mouth - I chewed all my pencils and pens and swallowed the items until my 20s (when I realised it was probably rather bad for my health).

I remember the taste and smell of things intensely - including the taste of leather, woold and dirt.

Tiptoe walking into my twenties too.

With regard to noise, this has really haunted me, especially in shared flats.

I made myself unpopular by constantly asking for music to be turned down.

I still ask in restaurants for music to be turned down (only since my diagnosis though, as I feel I'm allowed!).

I remember once I'd got a job the chap I worked for saying afterwards that the reason he employed me was my extremely precise answers to questions.

There are lots of things that I realise now weren't 'normal' by allistic standards, and these are but a few.

• I'm sorry to hear that, I hope you are doing ok now!

• Sensory overloads. My schizophrenic father had a phobia of silence, he always had a TV or a radio at full blast. Our house has often a couple of TV turned on without anyone looking at them. The sensory overload was horrible, but my father got into a screaming rage when I tried to lower the volume. Probably a normal children would have just thought it annoying, but for me it was a 24/7 sensory overload. Now I just cannot stand TV. Once he said that he needed the noise to "make the voices stop", it was the first time I realized that there was something wrong with me but he was just mad as a hatter. Burn in Hell daddy, I hope Satan is skinning you alive right now.