Purpose

I find myself looking for a purpose in life. I've always associated that with a career or bringing up a family. My children are adults now, and do not live nearby. And a career doesn't seem very likely for me now, due to various health reasons. 

Someone said to me recently that a purpose doesn't have to be just those things. But I can't get passed that. Any thoughts please ? 

Parents
  • many of the leading wellbeing experts say the important things for happiness and health are meaning of life followed by exercise followed by diet in that order.

Neurotypical folk get most of their meaning in life from their relationships. We autistic folk struggle with relationships and we try and find meaning in other things. We never fully succeed but trying as hard as we do van be extremely productive. Eventually, if we want to be happy, we have to find ways of improving our relationships.

I have found meditating on compassionate and unconditional positive regard for the people I care about has transformed my relationships for the better.

Another wonderful source of purpose and meaning for me is the research I have done into autism and the discovery that we are in fact the uber humans leading the way for all of humanity. I explain in detail why this is the case in my book and if anyone would like to read it I will be glad to share.

• in my book and if anyone would like to read it I will be glad to share.

Whats it called?

• hello Frozen heart,

Thanks for taking an interest. The leading title candidate at the moment is

'Love Deficit Disorder - The Origins of Autism and Healing from Social Anxiety'

It is a word doc at the moment and still under construction. But the main thesis is fleshed out.

Basically autism is epigenetic meaning that it is built into the standard human genome as an adaptation to scarcity and is triggered by family anxiety.

The idea is unconventional and therefore I am braced to be ignored, laughed at and fought before somebody else takes credit for it.

• Hi Amerantin,

during our evolution our ancestors ran into periods where there were genuinely not enough resources to go around. This promoted narcissistic behaviour and almost required humans to become more wary of each other, more feverish in pursuit of goals and more ruthless in dispatching perceived enemies. 

in modern times there is a growing sense of scarcity at the sub-conscious level and this is bringing about an escalation in everything to do with mental ill health from autism to depression to narcissism. 

But in the modern world however the scarcity is not genuine - it is delusional. The reality is abundance. But perception really is everything and unless we change perception we are on a downward spiral to self destruction.

thanks for the question. I really appreciate the opportunity to share what I see

• adaptation to scarcity

Hi dad1967, scarcity of what?

Reply Children
  • Hi Amerantin,

during our evolution our ancestors ran into periods where there were genuinely not enough resources to go around. This promoted narcissistic behaviour and almost required humans to become more wary of each other, more feverish in pursuit of goals and more ruthless in dispatching perceived enemies. 

in modern times there is a growing sense of scarcity at the sub-conscious level and this is bringing about an escalation in everything to do with mental ill health from autism to depression to narcissism. 

But in the modern world however the scarcity is not genuine - it is delusional. The reality is abundance. But perception really is everything and unless we change perception we are on a downward spiral to self destruction.

thanks for the question. I really appreciate the opportunity to share what I see