Purpose

I find myself looking for a purpose in life. I've always associated that with a career or bringing up a family. My children are adults now, and do not live nearby. And a career doesn't seem very likely for me now, due to various health reasons. 

Someone said to me recently that a purpose doesn't have to be just those things. But I can't get passed that. Any thoughts please ? 

Parents
  • many of the leading wellbeing experts say the important things for happiness and health are meaning of life followed by exercise followed by diet in that order.

Neurotypical folk get most of their meaning in life from their relationships. We autistic folk struggle with relationships and we try and find meaning in other things. We never fully succeed but trying as hard as we do van be extremely productive. Eventually, if we want to be happy, we have to find ways of improving our relationships.

I have found meditating on compassionate and unconditional positive regard for the people I care about has transformed my relationships for the better.

Another wonderful source of purpose and meaning for me is the research I have done into autism and the discovery that we are in fact the uber humans leading the way for all of humanity. I explain in detail why this is the case in my book and if anyone would like to read it I will be glad to share.

• many of the leading wellbeing experts say the important things for happiness and health are meaning of life followed by exercise followed by diet in that order.

Neurotypical folk get most of their meaning in life from their relationships. We autistic folk struggle with relationships and we try and find meaning in other things. We never fully succeed but trying as hard as we do van be extremely productive. Eventually, if we want to be happy, we have to find ways of improving our relationships.

I have found meditating on compassionate and unconditional positive regard for the people I care about has transformed my relationships for the better.

Another wonderful source of purpose and meaning for me is the research I have done into autism and the discovery that we are in fact the uber humans leading the way for all of humanity. I explain in detail why this is the case in my book and if anyone would like to read it I will be glad to share.

Children