Awaiting Assessment - Should I Tell My Employer?

Hello

New to the forum and looking for some advice.

Roughly two years ago I started to think I could be autistic. I spent the next year looking up information, reading books and listening to podcasts and became more convinced that yes I was autistic. Eventually I built up the courage and made an appointment with the doctor. The doctor requested an adult autism assessment and after about 5 months I received a letter advising me that I could now request the pre-assessment forms. The pre-assessment screening questionnaire, early development questionnaire and relatives questionnaire were completed and sent back. A month later I received a letter to confirm they had been reviewed and that they think an assessment would be helpful and I have now been put on the waiting list.

My question is should I tell my employer? The waiting time for the assessment is 20 months and I still have well over a year to go (probably more as all the other time frames were wrong). I was recently moved to a different department and feel like it could help them understand me more but at the same time I’m worried that I tell them only to get the assessment and be told that I don’t have autism.

I’ve considered getting a private assessment as it’s driving me mad not knowing but it's a big expense I'm not sure I can put out right now.

Thanks

• Appreciate the reply, that's really helpful. I think they would be supportive and there's no major issues at the moment but just thinking ahead to when they start to realise I'm a bit weird (managed to get away with it before but much bigger department now).

Sorry to hear about your recent issue. Fingers crossed it works out!

• Thanks for your reply. I'm hoping to never be at the attack stage as I don't cope with conflict very well. Guess I'll need to wait and see!

• Thanks for your reply. Sounds like it's been a good thing for you telling them first.

• Your situation sounds very much like mine.
    I work in a small team in IT and had struggled with communicating with the team. I found it difficult to work with people who just didn't get it (lack of tech knowledge / experience). They struggle with my "matter of fact" communication to the point of being offended at times.
    That is when I stumbled across the fact that I might be autistic (whilst looking for information around other health issues that I have) .

Due to the tensions in the team, I thought it best to inform my manager and HR that there were indications that I could be autistic and that would go some way in explaining why I am how I am.

This seemed to be the right thing to do, I felt that my manager and company supported me.

Fast forward to October 2023 when I was assessed and diagnosed as being level 1 autistic.
    The revelation, although not surprising, had such an impact that I ended up me being signed off for 5 weeks.
    On my return to work I shared this information not only with my manager and HR, but also to the other team members in an open letter that explained my diagnosis and how ASD made me different to most other (NT) people.

Again, this seemed the right thing to do.
    My teammates had a better understanding about me and things were going well.

BUT, more recently I have been offered a "settlement agreement" to effectively pay me to leave quietly. If I don't accept their offer, then I will taken down a disciplinary route due to the considerable time that I have been off sick over the past 3 years.

Anyway, to answer your question as to whether you should inform your employer...
    I would say that it very much depends on your situation and how supportive your new teammates and employer will be.
    If you experience difficulties with the change of departments, then I would say that you should really consider telling them.
    Opening up about the possibility of being autistic could (should) be seen as being open, honest and having trust in your new team.

GOOD LUCK!

• no need to unless theres a issue.

i told my employer because i was dragged through many disciplinaries and my job was at risk so i used the assessment que for it as a last ditch defence along with certain threats and so on to make them back off and stop harrassing me. if your boss is cool though and work is normal and things are going smoothly theres no need really, if you have peace and status quo its best to keep it, and then only use it when your under attack as a trump card they dont know about.... you see the fact they dont know throws them, if they know and they attack then their attack would have it in mind and go around it, if they dont know then they attack then you use it then it acts as a trump card and ruins their attack and cancels it out.

• Before I even started the assessment process I told my employer that I thought I could be, and they accepted this. I told them about how I struggle with change (it's quite a common thing in my line of work) and they have supported me massively with this. They have tried to keep me where I am based as much as possible and try to give me as much notice as possible to make these processes easier for me if they cannot be avoided. I have kept them updated throughout the process so far (it's been over two years now) and have been quite open regarding my worries surrounding my diagnosis (if they say I am or I'm not) and they're still very understanding and mindful of it and are awaiting the assessment date with me which has been quite nice.

• No adjustments as such. Just to be able to continue as I have been. I know it sounds ridiculous to most people but I can't cope with the social side so don't want to have to take part in any team building exercises or work nights out. I can do my job just fine so don't see the need for the other stuff. This wasn't an issue before with my old manager who I think realised I wasn't comfortable but in this new department I can see these things coming up. I also work from home, again old manager had no issue with this but I'm panicking it's something which will be brought up soon.

I think I just want to be able to say I can't do certain things or have to do things different to other people but at the moment I probably just seem weird.

• I told my employer after I was diagnosed and they just shrugged their shoulders and said “ok” and nothing changed.

Are there specific adjustments you’d want to ask them for?