Awaiting Assessment - Should I Tell My Employer?

Hello

New to the forum and looking for some advice.

Roughly two years ago I started to think I could be autistic. I spent the next year looking up information, reading books and listening to podcasts and became more convinced that yes I was autistic. Eventually I built up the courage and made an appointment with the doctor. The doctor requested an adult autism assessment and after about 5 months I received a letter advising me that I could now request the pre-assessment forms. The pre-assessment screening questionnaire, early development questionnaire and relatives questionnaire were completed and sent back. A month later I received a letter to confirm they had been reviewed and that they think an assessment would be helpful and I have now been put on the waiting list.

My question is should I tell my employer? The waiting time for the assessment is 20 months and I still have well over a year to go (probably more as all the other time frames were wrong). I was recently moved to a different department and feel like it could help them understand me more but at the same time I’m worried that I tell them only to get the assessment and be told that I don’t have autism.

I’ve considered getting a private assessment as it’s driving me mad not knowing but it's a big expense I'm not sure I can put out right now.

Thanks

Parents
  • no need to unless theres a issue.

i told my employer because i was dragged through many disciplinaries and my job was at risk so i used the assessment que for it as a last ditch defence along with certain threats and so on to make them back off and stop harrassing me. if your boss is cool though and work is normal and things are going smoothly theres no need really, if you have peace and status quo its best to keep it, and then only use it when your under attack as a trump card they dont know about.... you see the fact they dont know throws them, if they know and they attack then their attack would have it in mind and go around it, if they dont know then they attack then you use it then it acts as a trump card and ruins their attack and cancels it out.

• no need to unless theres a issue.

i told my employer because i was dragged through many disciplinaries and my job was at risk so i used the assessment que for it as a last ditch defence along with certain threats and so on to make them back off and stop harrassing me. if your boss is cool though and work is normal and things are going smoothly theres no need really, if you have peace and status quo its best to keep it, and then only use it when your under attack as a trump card they dont know about.... you see the fact they dont know throws them, if they know and they attack then their attack would have it in mind and go around it, if they dont know then they attack then you use it then it acts as a trump card and ruins their attack and cancels it out.

Children