Awaiting Assessment - Should I Tell My Employer?

Hello

New to the forum and looking for some advice.

Roughly two years ago I started to think I could be autistic. I spent the next year looking up information, reading books and listening to podcasts and became more convinced that yes I was autistic. Eventually I built up the courage and made an appointment with the doctor. The doctor requested an adult autism assessment and after about 5 months I received a letter advising me that I could now request the pre-assessment forms. The pre-assessment screening questionnaire, early development questionnaire and relatives questionnaire were completed and sent back. A month later I received a letter to confirm they had been reviewed and that they think an assessment would be helpful and I have now been put on the waiting list.

My question is should I tell my employer? The waiting time for the assessment is 20 months and I still have well over a year to go (probably more as all the other time frames were wrong). I was recently moved to a different department and feel like it could help them understand me more but at the same time I’m worried that I tell them only to get the assessment and be told that I don’t have autism.

I’ve considered getting a private assessment as it’s driving me mad not knowing but it's a big expense I'm not sure I can put out right now.

Thanks

Parents
  • I told my employer after I was diagnosed and they just shrugged their shoulders and said “ok” and nothing changed.

Are there specific adjustments you’d want to ask them for? 

• No adjustments as such. Just to be able to continue as I have been. I know it sounds ridiculous to most people but I can't cope with the social side so don't want to have to take part in any team building exercises or work nights out. I can do my job just fine so don't see the need for the other stuff. This wasn't an issue before with my old manager who I think realised I wasn't comfortable but in this new department I can see these things coming up. I also work from home, again old manager had no issue with this but I'm panicking it's something which will be brought up soon.

I think I just want to be able to say I can't do certain things or have to do things different to other people but at the moment I probably just seem weird.

• No adjustments as such. Just to be able to continue as I have been. I know it sounds ridiculous to most people but I can't cope with the social side so don't want to have to take part in any team building exercises or work nights out. I can do my job just fine so don't see the need for the other stuff. This wasn't an issue before with my old manager who I think realised I wasn't comfortable but in this new department I can see these things coming up. I also work from home, again old manager had no issue with this but I'm panicking it's something which will be brought up soon.

I think I just want to be able to say I can't do certain things or have to do things different to other people but at the moment I probably just seem weird.

Children
No Data