Growing up in the 1980's

Following on from my "Good Old Times" discussion, I thought that I'd start a discussion about growing up in the 1980's...

It was during the 80's that I became a teenager with a certain amount of living carefree without the responsibilities that adult life brings and without knowing (or even suspecting) that I was autistic.
There was a lot going on - both good and bad.

BAD

• We were still going through the Cold War - as a child I remember the seemingly constant threat of nuclear war.
  • The Falkland War
  • The miners strike
  • High unemployment (3 Million)
  • Famine in Africa
  • The rise of AIDS

GOOD

• The British Armed Forces demonstrated how capable they were in protecting the Falklands
  • Space exploration was revitalised by the Space Shuttle programme
  • Only 4 TV channels, mostly with great quality programming (no narcissistic reality crap!)
  • Technological advances....that didn't take over our lives as mobile phones and social media have done
  • Band Aid / Live Aid (probably one of the most positive memories that I had of the 80's)
  • The Iron Curtain / Berlin Wall fell 
  • IMHO, probably the best decade for music 

What are your memories from the 80's?
Do you remember them as the best times of your life? Or maybe the worst times?

• Me TOO!!!!! Its been on my mind on and off for 40 yrs or so.  Now its every day again with Russia and N Korea.  I used to dream about bombs going off and trying to survive, really vivid dreams

• I grew up in the 80's and watched programs such as The Waltons , Star Fleet, anyone remember that one? How about Dr Snuggles? Or maybe Professor Poopsnagles Flying Steam Zeplin , used to be on a Sunday morning? 

• One of my strange collections is American car number plates, the Texas plate depicts the Challenger shuttle in the top left corner, the seven stars are for each life lost.

• Some great comments - thank you.

As Roy mentioned, Chernobyl was a major event in the mid-80's.
    Earlier that year (1986) I vividly remember the Challenger space shuttle exploding shortly after take off, It was Tuesday late afternoon. I had got ready for Scouts and was waiting for the scout leader to pick me up from home. Put the space shuttle launch on TV (as I would for most of the launches back then) and remember being so shocked with what I witnessed on the TV.

School was a challenge for me. I had passed the entrance exam (11 plus?) to get into a grammar school. Yes, I was quite a gifted child in terms of numeracy, problem solving, etc. But I was not very interested or capable in literature areas (I've never enjoyed reading fiction). Grammar school was a struggle for me. I struggled to work to the high levels of expectations (from the school and my dad). Fashion / labels were a big thing among the trendy (wealthy parented) kids and I felt like a just didn't fit in.

I remember being infatuated by the USA. Everything seemed to be so desirable and cool.
    The movies, the music, the culture, the TV programmes, NFL, MTV, burgers.
    Back to the Future, Top Gun, ET, Ghostbusters
    Bon Jovi, Michael Jackson, Madonna
    living the dream
    Dallas, Dynasty, Cheers, Jonathon King's weekly music programme with Jenny Powell on BBC2

• I was three months old when we 'protected' the Falklands (weren't 300+ Argentinians killed as their boat was heading *away* from the Falklands?) The cultural legacy of the 80s seems massive, particularly in terms of films and pop music. However, politically, the 80s seem very grim. Thatcher and Reagan have so much to answer for.

• I was too worldly, at that age. My family watched the news religiously.

Growing up right in the middle of Republican East Tyrone meant that I was shielded from a lot. However, my dad was still killed in the Troubles.

In spite of all that, I was sympathetic towards our perceived enemies. I watched English TV, followed English Football and didn't have Gaelic culture rammed down my throat. But we were Catholic, and I still am.

My first exposure to America was Sesame Street. Then American Football, thanks to the video for 'Walk of life's by Dire Straits.

To be honest, I preferred the Nineties. But there are still aspects of the Eighties ingrained in me.

• A really good adventure film was released in 1980, Raise the Titanic.

• The music was pretty good though.

• I remember being a very worried child, i totally remember the real feeling that nuclear war was imminent.

ive been thinking a bit like that recently too. 

• The Titanic is a lifelong interest for me as well Slight smile I was born in 1997 when the Titanic movie by James Cameron was made. I've been a fan of the ship and that movie since I learned about it at school.

• I became a teenager in 1980, school in the 70’s and 80’s wasn’t very pleasant. It was actually very violent. I can remember  school trips weren’t allowed to London because of the risk of IRA attacks. The fear of nuclear war was always present as well, it felt like it was definitely going to happen.

TV was my full time saviour, I  watched anything and everything, I remember channel 4 starting, the first programme was Countdown. The programme Monkey and The Waltons were my favourite on the BBC. Strangely my favourite childhood programme turned 50 today, Bagpuss.

I’m glad we never had to worry about social media and wearing the latest ‘labels’, we were all equally skint so dressed in a similar way. I’m glad we never had mobile phones. I got to 1987 and went on my first airplane, that was an experience. I was part of the ‘ Youth Training Scheme’, 40 hour week for £25. I was an apprentice with a Ford main dealership. at 17 I was driving high powered cars, the cars are now sort after classic cars.

I can remember how strange the ‘Sloane Rangers’ looked and acted. The bubble bust in the end.

I was in a music lesson at school when it was announced the Falklands had been invaded, the teacher went and got the large tv on wheels that had wooden doors on the front of it so we could watch the news, an atlas was provided as most of us were convinced the Falklands was somewhere near the top of Scotland.

1st September 1985 was a big date in my life, a lifelong interest in the Titanic had been rewarded , it had been found, I remember watching the raising of the Mary Rose in 82 that was very interesting.

Chernobyl also became a very strong memory for me along with attempts on the Pope and Reagan’s lives.

• In 1980 I was 10 and turned 20 in 1989 so saw the decade as boy and man. I also loved the late 70's, particually the disco era but also love dthe music of the 80's . Living in the south the miners strike might as well been on the moon, as were the troubles in Northern Ireland. I have felt more uneasy about nuclear war in the last couple of years than I ever did in the cold war, it never felt that real back then. 

Back in 1980 the only electrical item in my bedroom was a light, and a small battery powered radio. I did get a tv in my bedroom when I was about 14 and loved watching the Young ones, and Spitting image which my parents really didn't get. TV was largely great back then, it had to be as I remember only 3 chanells and no daytime tv.From the age of 17 until the early 90's I travelled lots. Was in Amsterdam when the Berlin wall fell and back then travel was very diffrent. You had no idea what was happerning at home, you might get a news paper a few days old, or you rang home. By 1990 I had visited Ireland, France, Holland, Belgium, Lexembourg, germany,Swizerland, Austria and Yougoslavia, all by road. First year of the 90's I went to the US and Poland/Eastern Germany, it was crazy. 

The big negative of the 80's for me was secondary school. Totally rubbish school, obviously no ASD diagnosis, just kept my heard down but still bullied, just hated the whole thing and largely removed from my memory. However I massivley thrived when I left and went to work.

For me I will love the 80's, and a massive part of me would like to be living there again.

Rob

• I was born in the 1970s, so can remember what is was like when the only TV channels were BBC 1, BBC 2, and ITV. When Channel 4 came along, it seemed terribly exciting because it offered something that seemed refreshingly different to the other channels.

In terms of 'popular' music, I'm inclined to agree that the 1980s were one of the best decades. Whilst not everyone's cup of tea, I have fond memories of the New Romantics era. Not just in terms of the music, but how that era influenced the world of fashion.

Whilst there were undoubtedly bad things going on in the world, I do consider the 1980s to be one of the best decades. However, I question if I am perhaps guilty of wearing rose-tinted spectacles. Would my opinion still be the same if I could travel back in time, but as the adult I am now, as opposed to the child I was then? Maybe. Maybe not.