Growing up in the 1980's

Following on from my "Good Old Times" discussion, I thought that I'd start a discussion about growing up in the 1980's...

It was during the 80's that I became a teenager with a certain amount of living carefree without the responsibilities that adult life brings and without knowing (or even suspecting) that I was autistic.
There was a lot going on - both good and bad.

BAD

• We were still going through the Cold War - as a child I remember the seemingly constant threat of nuclear war.
  • The Falkland War
  • The miners strike
  • High unemployment (3 Million)
  • Famine in Africa
  • The rise of AIDS

GOOD

• The British Armed Forces demonstrated how capable they were in protecting the Falklands
  • Space exploration was revitalised by the Space Shuttle programme
  • Only 4 TV channels, mostly with great quality programming (no narcissistic reality crap!)
  • Technological advances....that didn't take over our lives as mobile phones and social media have done
  • Band Aid / Live Aid (probably one of the most positive memories that I had of the 80's)
  • The Iron Curtain / Berlin Wall fell 
  • IMHO, probably the best decade for music 

What are your memories from the 80's?
Do you remember them as the best times of your life? Or maybe the worst times?

Parents
  • I grew up in the 80's and watched programs such as The Waltons , Star Fleet, anyone remember that one? How about Dr Snuggles? Or maybe Professor Poopsnagles Flying Steam Zeplin , used to be on a Sunday morning? 

• I grew up in the 80's and watched programs such as The Waltons , Star Fleet, anyone remember that one? How about Dr Snuggles? Or maybe Professor Poopsnagles Flying Steam Zeplin , used to be on a Sunday morning? 

Children
No Data