Growing up in the 1980's

Following on from my "Good Old Times" discussion, I thought that I'd start a discussion about growing up in the 1980's...

It was during the 80's that I became a teenager with a certain amount of living carefree without the responsibilities that adult life brings and without knowing (or even suspecting) that I was autistic.
There was a lot going on - both good and bad.

BAD

• We were still going through the Cold War - as a child I remember the seemingly constant threat of nuclear war.
  • The Falkland War
  • The miners strike
  • High unemployment (3 Million)
  • Famine in Africa
  • The rise of AIDS

GOOD

• The British Armed Forces demonstrated how capable they were in protecting the Falklands
  • Space exploration was revitalised by the Space Shuttle programme
  • Only 4 TV channels, mostly with great quality programming (no narcissistic reality crap!)
  • Technological advances....that didn't take over our lives as mobile phones and social media have done
  • Band Aid / Live Aid (probably one of the most positive memories that I had of the 80's)
  • The Iron Curtain / Berlin Wall fell 
  • IMHO, probably the best decade for music 

What are your memories from the 80's?
Do you remember them as the best times of your life? Or maybe the worst times?

Parents
  • I was born in the 1970s, so can remember what is was like when the only TV channels were BBC 1, BBC 2, and ITV. When Channel 4 came along, it seemed terribly exciting because it offered something that seemed refreshingly different to the other channels.

In terms of 'popular' music, I'm inclined to agree that the 1980s were one of the best decades. Whilst not everyone's cup of tea, I have fond memories of the New Romantics era. Not just in terms of the music, but how that era influenced the world of fashion.

Whilst there were undoubtedly bad things going on in the world, I do consider the 1980s to be one of the best decades. However, I question if I am perhaps guilty of wearing rose-tinted spectacles. Would my opinion still be the same if I could travel back in time, but as the adult I am now, as opposed to the child I was then? Maybe. Maybe not.

• I was born in the 1970s, so can remember what is was like when the only TV channels were BBC 1, BBC 2, and ITV. When Channel 4 came along, it seemed terribly exciting because it offered something that seemed refreshingly different to the other channels.

In terms of 'popular' music, I'm inclined to agree that the 1980s were one of the best decades. Whilst not everyone's cup of tea, I have fond memories of the New Romantics era. Not just in terms of the music, but how that era influenced the world of fashion.

Whilst there were undoubtedly bad things going on in the world, I do consider the 1980s to be one of the best decades. However, I question if I am perhaps guilty of wearing rose-tinted spectacles. Would my opinion still be the same if I could travel back in time, but as the adult I am now, as opposed to the child I was then? Maybe. Maybe not.

Children
No Data