Being mocked for the way you look by strangers

Blanked.

Parents
  • How old are you? When I was at high school I had this - guys my age doing things like that, calling me "ugly" etc. Then I went to uni and had all these really good looking girls after me, which made it pretty clear how dumb those guys were. 

I wouldn't trust, or respect, the opinions of a bunch of bored teenagers loafing around. Just ignore them. You won't look funny, it's just teenagers being teenagers. Heck, all you need is a birthmark on your forehead and people that age will treat it like it's the final days of Rome.

Just relax and don't worry about it. 

• Do teenage boys just make fun of anyone, even adult men in the street that they don't know?

Frankly, yes....a lot of them do......unless there is a reason for them not to.

Accordingly, it is right and proper to ignore them and quietly pity them (along with many of our daft societal norms at the moment.)

I just want to be able to walk down the street undisturbed

Being "disturbed" in this sense, is a "state of mind."  You can alter your state of mind by deciding that they are just sad, misled and tragic little male humans, who hold no power over your state of mind.  I do appreciate that this takes effort and energy that you may prefer not to spend on such matters - but here we find ourselves!

• Do teenage boys just make fun of anyone, even adult men in the street that they don't know?

Frankly, yes....a lot of them do......unless there is a reason for them not to.

Accordingly, it is right and proper to ignore them and quietly pity them (along with many of our daft societal norms at the moment.)

I just want to be able to walk down the street undisturbed

Being "disturbed" in this sense, is a "state of mind."  You can alter your state of mind by deciding that they are just sad, misled and tragic little male humans, who hold no power over your state of mind.  I do appreciate that this takes effort and energy that you may prefer not to spend on such matters - but here we find ourselves!

Children
  • When such things happen to me I like to assemble a quick and humourous reply to use in such a situation. I found I rarely get to use them, it happens a lot less often than it seems.

"You think I look funny"? "Just wait and see what a bit age and changing fashion does to you! Whoo Hooo!".

Shakes head, Walks away..

On the rare times I ever get to use a pre-prepared set piece like that, I'm usually several steps away before they can come up with an answer.

For the days when I have no answer to other peoples casual or designed rudeness, I'm extremely practiced at the art of "Ignorance", not even letting a flicker of understanding cross my face...

Where I have enough pre-determined strategy, things don't bother me.      

• I need to remember about stoicism. Why am I letting stupid things I cannot control affect me? I cannot change the behaviour of others, but I can change my reaction to it (although, it's often easier said than done!).