Won't fit in any community (HFA only)

I was diagnosed with high functioning level 2 ASD about 6 months ago. I started tagging around some online and RL communities, but I quickly noticed that all the autistic spaces I interacted with are mainly geared towards the more severely disabled. Users there are totally infantilized, mods behave like nurses in an assisted living facility.  

I understand that higher support people deserve to be protected, but I feel like I am living in a nursing home. Everybody tells me to "unmask", but how can I unmask if I have to walk on eggshells to avoid traumatizing some low-functioning user?

Is there any place that caters only to high functioning people? This forum is just unusable, forums and communities online are dead, and Reddit... well, it's Reddit!

I am open to suggestions

Parents
  • There are members here without learning difficulties, who fall into the category of "high functioning".

I think the issue you have is that you are struggling to find people who are on your wavelength.

During my time here, I have observed that "high-functioning" members can be just as easily triggered as what you refer to as "low-functioning" members. As I see it, it is possible to unmask here, but it's just a matter of being respectful and mindful of other members.

For example, my sense of humour can at times be considered dark. With members who share a similar sense of humour, I know they are unlikely to be triggered if I respond to them with a dark-humoured comment. However, with members who I know are likely to take offence, then I'll try to tone it down. I do not see this as walking on eggshells, but just being thoughtful and considerate.

• There are members here without learning difficulties, who fall into the category of "high functioning".

I think the issue you have is that you are struggling to find people who are on your wavelength.

During my time here, I have observed that "high-functioning" members can be just as easily triggered as what you refer to as "low-functioning" members. As I see it, it is possible to unmask here, but it's just a matter of being respectful and mindful of other members.

For example, my sense of humour can at times be considered dark. With members who share a similar sense of humour, I know they are unlikely to be triggered if I respond to them with a dark-humoured comment. However, with members who I know are likely to take offence, then I'll try to tone it down. I do not see this as walking on eggshells, but just being thoughtful and considerate.

Children
  • Yes, there are many little fragile snowflakes in the high functioning group, too. However, the main issue still persists: 95% of the people here are people that I would avoid in real life. I am already forced to interact with unpleasant people on the job, why should I suffer that during the leisure time, too?