Won't fit in any community (HFA only)

I was diagnosed with high functioning level 2 ASD about 6 months ago. I started tagging around some online and RL communities, but I quickly noticed that all the autistic spaces I interacted with are mainly geared towards the more severely disabled. Users there are totally infantilized, mods behave like nurses in an assisted living facility.  

I understand that higher support people deserve to be protected, but I feel like I am living in a nursing home. Everybody tells me to "unmask", but how can I unmask if I have to walk on eggshells to avoid traumatizing some low-functioning user?

Is there any place that caters only to high functioning people? This forum is just unusable, forums and communities online are dead, and Reddit... well, it's Reddit!

I am open to suggestions

Parents
  • There are members here without learning difficulties, who fall into the category of "high functioning".

I think the issue you have is that you are struggling to find people who are on your wavelength.

During my time here, I have observed that "high-functioning" members can be just as easily triggered as what you refer to as "low-functioning" members. As I see it, it is possible to unmask here, but it's just a matter of being respectful and mindful of other members.

For example, my sense of humour can at times be considered dark. With members who share a similar sense of humour, I know they are unlikely to be triggered if I respond to them with a dark-humoured comment. However, with members who I know are likely to take offence, then I'll try to tone it down. I do not see this as walking on eggshells, but just being thoughtful and considerate.

• Yes, there are many little fragile snowflakes in the high functioning group, too. However, the main issue still persists: 95% of the people here are people that I would avoid in real life. I am already forced to interact with unpleasant people on the job, why should I suffer that during the leisure time, too?

• Yes, there are many little fragile snowflakes in the high functioning group, too. However, the main issue still persists: 95% of the people here are people that I would avoid in real life. I am already forced to interact with unpleasant people on the job, why should I suffer that during the leisure time, too?

Children
  • > "Just as easily triggered"

That is the same of "being a little fragile snowflake" to me, unless we are talking about people with serious disabilities. 

Nobody is forcing you to interact with anyone that you don't want to, whether it is here or on another online platform.

Well, sometimes I read the posts and I think: "My God, I hope that he is just trolling." Many discussions feel like what you would hear in the Arkham Asylum.  I do not know about you, but I am not interested in interacting with deranged people.  

• Yes, there are many little fragile snowflakes in the high functioning group, too.

Your words, not mine.

Nobody is forcing you to interact with anyone that you don't want to, whether it is here or on another online platform.