How do you spend your life?

1. I'm a late diagnosed autistic woman and I don't know how to spend my life day to day. I don't know what to do or how to start I dont understand how people decide what they're going to do apart from jobs which you have to do. I'm living in a city and grew up in the country, I've had lots of jobs but I'm unemployed right now for the first time since I was about twelve. I have lots of interests but they just don't excite me right now I don't feel anything for them. Most days I wake up and I feel really anxious because I just don't know what to do. I have no plans no obligations and no desire to do the things I used to like. I'm worried that I'm burnt out because that's what that sounds like but I don't know how to make myself feel better. I think if someone instructed me, I can do things for them but I don't have any instructions for myself. Like if my job demands me to go to Greece I can easily do it but if I have a month off nothing will ever happen. Does anyone relate to this? Or know what to do? 
Parents
  • I feel like I can relate to how you are feeling . If I make plans, it is a miracle if I manage to achieve the things I have planned to do, even if they are things I want to do. However, I am a person who tends to take life one day at a time. If I fail to achieve the things I have planned, I try not to beat myself up about it. Tomorrow is another day, as they say.

For example, I have hobbies/interests that bring me pleasure, but I need to be in the right frame of mind to immerse myself in them. If the desire isn't there and I'm not experiencing the therapeutic benefits, then I see little point in engaging with those interests.

I have no advice to offer you. We are all different, so what works for one person may not work for another.

• For example, I have hobbies/interests that bring me pleasure, but I need to be in the right frame of mind to immerse myself in them. If the desire isn't there and I'm not experiencing the therapeutic benefits, then I see little point in engaging with those interests

This is my problem as well. Although the things I used to really enjoy I feel unable to do now anyway, almost like I lost that zest, the passion I had. I work now, something I thought I would never be able to do but all my interests and hobbies are pushed aside.

I'm never in the right frame of mind for them and lack the interest I used to have which is a bit scary really.

• I often say, "My get-up-and-go has got up and gone". With age, I have learned that there is no point worrying about it, as it will return if and when it is ready. For example, one of my hobbies has been "paused" for more than 18 months. I am confident I will get back into it at some point, but if I don't, then I don't.

• I often say, "My get-up-and-go has got up and gone". With age, I have learned that there is no point worrying about it, as it will return if and when it is ready. For example, one of my hobbies has been "paused" for more than 18 months. I am confident I will get back into it at some point, but if I don't, then I don't.

Children
  • That's a good approach, and a good way of looking at the situation. I wish I had that way of thinking but I am overly negative, not sure why exactly. It's probably the anxiety, that seems to be a big part of my life. I worry I'll never get back to things and my life is on a downward spiral. I'm hoping working will set me back on track.