Autism related psychosis

I am so confused as my initial dx was actually schizophrenia and even schizoaffective(bipolar)

First psychosis happened almost 14 years ago in 2010. I took meds for 10 years without psychosis. in 2020, I saw a new consultant who suggested I didn't have schizophrenia, but instead had autism. And the emotional Dysregulation was from this. So I went through the process of coming off the antipsychotics. He instead suggested I go on a mood stabiliser with an antidepressant. 

The doctor left after that appointment and because I had side effects from the mood stabiliser, another locum doctor decided it was ok for me to go off them and just stick to an antidepressant. This eventually led me into another psychosis worse than the first one.

Fast forward to 2023 , the first doctor I spoke about has returned and he still thinks I don't have schizophrenia. I just had my last assessment for autism on Wednesday so will wait and see.

But I cannot find any info on autism related psychosis. How is this possible?

I read that brief psychosis lasts only 4 weeks, mine lasted 6 weeks before the medication started working. 

Parents Reply Children
  • It says "ASD patients frequently suffer from “anomalous perceptual experiences” (APEs) compared to normal controls. For example, perceptions of sounds without a visible source are commonly reported, such as hearing a train 5–10 min before it passes or hearing sounds all around."

Um do "normal" people not hear sounds unless they can see the source?? How is this a sign of psychosis in autism? This just sounds like normal living to me. Blind people can hear and they cant see anything. Idk if im processing this wrong or if those researchers didnt think this through.

And even if this is a thing that most people dont experiance, I dont think they should be able to say its evidence of psychosis in autism. I dont know nearly as much about psychosis that I do of autism, so I cant say why they would experience APEs, but I do think the ASD reasoning would just be due to hightened auditory senses. Not because of some psychosis. 

I think they are taking simularities then twisting them to fit with their theory. 

Perhaps im just not understanding this article the way I am supposed to, but im not sure I trust it all that much. I mean it was supposedly published in 2022, yet they use the term aspergers more than once even though that term is no longer in use. They also say non-autistic or "normal" instead of simply saying allistic (saying non-autistic is fine I guess, considering some people wouldnt know what allistic was. But they could just say "allistic (non-autistic)" then boom, now they know). I dont think these researchers know enough about autism to be making claims of its connection to psychosis. 

I dont know, maybe im just being picky or ignorant, but I do think something is off about this article.

• I know it's naughty, but I got to this bit - Delusions are defined as “fixed beliefs that are not amenable to change in light of conflicting evidence” - and started making a list of people who are affected in this way, and it's HUGE!!!