Assessment call with Psychiatry UK tomorrow

I've got my assessment video call tomorrow morning, I feel sick and so anxious I can't do anything or eat. I need to know as the uncertainty is horrible but equally I don't know how I feel about an answer either way.

Does anyone have any experience they can share of this? Or what to expect? Maybe being more prepared will help.

• Thank you. I'll look into them, that is when I get my turn around my husband and son!

• I need to get that! I liked the first game. 

Good games I've found for autism are Runner2, SPACEPLAN, and Unpacking. Celeste is a very good mental health you might like, too. A platformer but it has a theme of overcoming depression and anxiety.

• Not really, they do a lot of work for the ISS, lots of research and development. I have a friend that works for the National Centre for Earth Observation, she's always telling what all the different space agencies are doing.

• I've been playing Slimerancher 2, it's been really calming and I've been able to hyperfocus on it which has at least taken my mind off things for a bit. Not sure what to play next though.

• Yeah, just chill and enjoy the weekend for now. I'm getting sushi tomorrow and buying Super Mario Wonder to just let rip with silly escapism and huzzah to that. It's all about the little things.

• Depends what the adjustment is I suppose. They need a good reason to justify their rejection. Either way, they don't sound like a good employer. 

• theres always a place for everyone. theyd need cleaners too and stuff lol
    plus i doubt the european space agency really does anything anyway but take up funding.

• I'd thoroughly enjoy working for the ESA I think but I'm very much not qualified unfortunately.

• It's like all the disparities in my life make sense when looked at through an autistic lens, instead of being disconnected issues, they fit together and make sense now. Just having that confirmation is such a relief.

Going to take a few days of low demand to mentally adjust to the news, although I know it will take me much longer to fully process everything, but next week my husband is in hospital and I need to be functional for that!

• under the Equality Act 2010 you can request reasonable workplace adjustments etc.

you can do... and your employer can still decline the adjustments as mine has done lol

• Good to hear! I always think getting the answer is a great step, you now know what's going on and can get support measures in place. For work as well, if you want to mention it to an employer (not that it's mandatory) under the Equality Act 2010 you can request reasonable workplace adjustments etc.

It's up to you how you want to feel about it.

After my diagnosis I was delighted as it explained everything that'd been going on in my life (a lot of chaos and disorder, basically). Since then I've been able to lead my life knowing I'm an autistic adult, which does help. I've embraced my autistic needs much more than I used to (such as stimming and repetitive movements to calm myself down - pacing, juggling etc.).

Check out some of Temple Grandin's books (The Autistic Brain) if you want a bit of extra guidance. Plus, Autism From the Inside is a very handy YouTube channel you might like.

Reminder, it's also the weekend! So a chance to relax and mull things over.

• So, had the call this morning, I meet all the criteria so they're issuing a report with a diagnosis of autism, level 1 since I have relatively low support needs.

The call cut out at one point which I didn't cope well with but highlighted my inability to deal with issues well, and brought out a new characteristic of that, in that I started hitting myself which is not something I've done before, or at least to that extent, but then I'm not that often as worked up as I was this morning.

So now I need to process it all, nothing has changed but everything has changed.

• not to be confused with the european space agency ofcourse lol

• I also have very longstanding depression and anxiety which has massively effected my ability to work. So that, along with the practical challenges I have regardless of a diagnosis, means that I have been awarded PIP and I get ESA.

• you tried to claim pip and esa before any diagnosis assessment? 
    wouldnt that fail immediately without any diagnosis to prop it up for consideration? 

• nope, no experience as ive been waiting like 4 years and have another 4 years to wait so when im ever seen to i wont care anymore and id go in mad at them instead of anxious and tell them i dont want their help anymore and that they are all rubbish and should be fired or get a new job lol

• Having gone through everything recently to claim ESA and PIP, once I get into the swing of things I'm hoping it will flow more easily.

A friend has come over to help distract me so that's helping.

• There were two for me. The second wasn't involved, she was listening to what was being said off screen. So it will just be the one person to talk to if one is listed for you.

Main thing is just be yourself. I found after a few minutes I'd calmed down and could settle into it a bit more, but they'll generally just want to find out about you.

Do try to eat something, by the way, food helps settle your blood sugar levels down. It'll help during the night with rest.

Got any podcasts you like or anything? Have a listen to something like You're Wrong About tonight if you can't sleep, it's interesting and relaxing.

• I hadn't realised more than one person was involved, there's only one listed for the assessment, the psychiatrist. And you're right, I can't do anything now.

I just need to take it as it comes, not my best skill, but looks like I'll be getting some more practice!

• I know it's difficult, but practice deep breathing exercises and anything else you find relaxing. Stimming and repetitive movements - pacing around etc. That sensory nest sounds like an ideal option!

Main thing is you can't do anything about it until tomorrow morning. So aim to enjoy your evening and just view it as by 12 tomorrow it'll be done. Then you can chill and enjoy the whole weekend and get something you like over the weekend. A takeaway or something.

That's what I do when something is causing me issues (job interview etc.) - I focus on things in the future and try not to live too much in the moment until it happens. Then you'll be surprised you can power through.

But again, don't worry if you have issues in the assessment. That's what they're there to assess.

Based on my assessment, they won't likely give you any details about what they think at first as they need to go off and discuss it. They discussed it as a team after my assessment.

That's what this forum is for, anyway, afterward you can come back here and let us know how it went.