Assessment call with Psychiatry UK tomorrow

I've got my assessment video call tomorrow morning, I feel sick and so anxious I can't do anything or eat. I need to know as the uncertainty is horrible but equally I don't know how I feel about an answer either way.

Does anyone have any experience they can share of this? Or what to expect? Maybe being more prepared will help.

Parents
  • So, had the call this morning, I meet all the criteria so they're issuing a report with a diagnosis of autism, level 1 since I have relatively low support needs.

The call cut out at one point which I didn't cope well with but highlighted my inability to deal with issues well, and brought out a new characteristic of that, in that I started hitting myself which is not something I've done before, or at least to that extent, but then I'm not that often as worked up as I was this morning.

So now I need to process it all, nothing has changed but everything has changed.

• Good to hear! I always think getting the answer is a great step, you now know what's going on and can get support measures in place. For work as well, if you want to mention it to an employer (not that it's mandatory) under the Equality Act 2010 you can request reasonable workplace adjustments etc.

It's up to you how you want to feel about it.

After my diagnosis I was delighted as it explained everything that'd been going on in my life (a lot of chaos and disorder, basically). Since then I've been able to lead my life knowing I'm an autistic adult, which does help. I've embraced my autistic needs much more than I used to (such as stimming and repetitive movements to calm myself down - pacing, juggling etc.).

Check out some of Temple Grandin's books (The Autistic Brain) if you want a bit of extra guidance. Plus, Autism From the Inside is a very handy YouTube channel you might like.

Reminder, it's also the weekend! So a chance to relax and mull things over.

• under the Equality Act 2010 you can request reasonable workplace adjustments etc.

you can do... and your employer can still decline the adjustments as mine has done lol

Reply Children