Traditional / Old Fashioned Thinking

As an older person with Autism, I was brought up in very different times with different thinking, values, acceptance, behaviour, etc (1970's & 80's).

The World has changed so much since then - both for better and worse.
There have been so many advancements - particularly in science and this has benefitted us ASD'ers immensely.

One thing that is troubling me is that I hold a lot of "principles" that in this day and age would be considered "Old Fashioned", "Traditional", maybe even "Bigotry" or worse.
There are things that I struggle to understand or accept which are based on my traditional attitude. I was brought up in an era when....

• Boys had girlfriends and girls has boyfriends
  • You were born a boy and died a man
  • Men married women
  • Humour was not censored
  • People weren't "cancelled"

I openly discuss or rant about these topics along with some others that may be considered taboo with closed friends and family who have all become somewhat numb to my outrageousness / inappropriateness.

I have however managed to "behave" in public (stayed on the right side of the law), but occasionally do mutter things with a level of cowardice.
My concern is that now that I am officially autistic, the shackles of having to mask may have been broken and that has the potential of me saying the wrong thing at the wrong time.

Parents
  • My question I guess is, why are you clinging on to these values? Why are you not open to learning about the LGBTQIA+ community? If you have concerns over saying the wrong thing then perhaps it is time to open your mind up a little because I genuinely don't think you can blame your autism for being a biggot or for saying the wrong thing and I say this with kindness. 

• autism is actually often to blame for saying the wrong thing... or for not saying something when something is expected to be said... or not knowing very strict social rules which are more draconian and super strict these days that even normies now feel like everything is too sensitive and they are treading barefoot on broken glass everytime they open their mouths. it doesnt create a nice society when its like that.

and the term biggot is misused as it means intolerance of others views.... this guy said nothing bigoted as he only stated his own views, of which if i didnt tolerate his views that he stated then id be a bigot for not tolerating his views. bigot is a term used too often by people who want to silence views they dont tolerate themselves. it gets tricky when its used that way as thats a double edged sword.

• The definition of a bigot as I understand it is a person who is obstinately or unreasonably attached to a belief, opinion, or faction, especially one who is prejudiced against or antagonistic towards a person or people on the basis of their membership of a particular group. 

Keeping that in mind GPK26 has posted this sharing concerns over their inability to mask as they may say the wrong thing right? It's been suggested and mentioned that to prevent this they could learn and educate themselves on this topic and perhaps open their mind a little. They have then refused to do that and instead have clung to their beliefs. That makes them look like a bigot and that's why I personally have mentioned it. 

• It would depend on the context? Was it an honest mistake and are they willing to acept that it was one and let it go? Then yes I would apologise and try to avoid it happening in the future.

Now supose I made a mistake but their first responce was to say it was unforgivable and demand I be excomunicated (metaphoricly speaking), I'm much more likely to come out all guns blasing to argue my corner.

And if it wasn't a mistake at all, if I said something they just didn't like (albet maybe insensativly) but that I was perfectly entitled to say that's yet again another matter.

• If you said something and openly acknowledged it wasn’t acceptable, and then other people told you that you were offending them or making them feel unsafe would you apologise and stop, or would you threaten them with legal action?

• aye the entire thing just doesnt work, and i believe its time to ditch it because it just seems like sketchy people using it all for their own clout and that clout isnt for anyones best interest but the person using it as a weapon. when its used that way everyone it claims to represent is then hated more... and persecuted more... 

• aye the entire thing just doesnt work, and i believe its time to ditch it because it just seems like sketchy people using it all for their own clout and that clout isnt for anyones best interest but the person using it as a weapon. when its used that way everyone it claims to represent is then hated more... and persecuted more... 

Children
No Data