Traditional / Old Fashioned Thinking

As an older person with Autism, I was brought up in very different times with different thinking, values, acceptance, behaviour, etc (1970's & 80's).

The World has changed so much since then - both for better and worse.
There have been so many advancements - particularly in science and this has benefitted us ASD'ers immensely.

One thing that is troubling me is that I hold a lot of "principles" that in this day and age would be considered "Old Fashioned", "Traditional", maybe even "Bigotry" or worse.
There are things that I struggle to understand or accept which are based on my traditional attitude. I was brought up in an era when....

• Boys had girlfriends and girls has boyfriends
  • You were born a boy and died a man
  • Men married women
  • Humour was not censored
  • People weren't "cancelled"

I openly discuss or rant about these topics along with some others that may be considered taboo with closed friends and family who have all become somewhat numb to my outrageousness / inappropriateness.

I have however managed to "behave" in public (stayed on the right side of the law), but occasionally do mutter things with a level of cowardice.
My concern is that now that I am officially autistic, the shackles of having to mask may have been broken and that has the potential of me saying the wrong thing at the wrong time.

Parents
  • All this arguing is not good. Here’s a nice song by Matisyahu: ‘One Day’. Look it up on YouTube.

• Again, I don't consider this as arguing, more as discussion & debate.

I watched the One Day video on YouTube and yes, it's a nice song. Very much Lennon's Imagine from the early 80's.

Thing is though, as much as its a nice song with positive message hopes, on the flip side it's quite depressing because that One Day will never come, or at least not in my lifetime. Take a look at the big bad World and all that is going on at the moment. 

There is a big bad world out there and as much as why try to hide it, ignore it, pretend that its not there, I'm afraid that it is there and it is real. 

• This is most definetly an argument. And GPK26 you are being so friking manipulative. I dont care if you are going to go off saying that im accusing you of stuff and you start acting all innocent and like a victim. Your OP wasnt really the problem, they problem is that people were just trying to give suggestions then you just flat out said you werent going to take them, then when people started getting mad, you act like you start saying you believe one thing but then you say the other thing or you say that you didnt even say the thing at all or that we misread it. And maybe we did misread parts but then you could just own up to the fact that this has gotten out of hand, and just end this thread. maybe people will keep writting but you dont have to keep repsonding and fueling the fire. You dont need the mods to do it for you, if someone was getting beat up in the street and the police were just standing there, are you really just going to watch and let it happen? I just want everybody to shut up. STOP FIGHTING AND MOVE ON TO DIFFERENT POSTS, NOBODY IS GOING TO END UP AGREEING ON THIS SO THERES NO POINT

• Although I don't see eye to eye with you on all things Debbie, I've found you to be a thoughtful and considerate poster when confronted with opposing ideology. 

I noted with some dismay, but perhaps a little understanding, that when your rejoined you did not elect to rejoin my unfeasibly large "friends" list, I'm hoping you'll (however briefly) reconsider that decision when I do my upcoming "celebrity" thread which should be a bit of harmless fun, as well as instructive as to how the "awards system" works here.

Thank you.

We are friends - you sent a request a few months back, I accepted, and we corresponded.

If It's any consolation, I experience that "Your thinking is beyond my grasp" sensation at some point with most of the other humans I meet and interact with

Yes, people are conundrums a lot of the time... there are often chasms between us and sometimes we try to bridge the gap, sometimes we give up.

Looking forward to the 'celebrity' thread Blush

• Former Member I'm confused - your profile says "hibernating" yet you're still here reading and replying to posts.

Now, I'm certainly not in any position to say whether you should or shouldn't be reading or replying to posts, but it does seems a bit odd.

The extent of my knowledge is that hibernation is when something like a hedgehog goes into an extended period of deep sleep (although actually it is not sleep). During that period, the hibernating creature is in a dormant state. It's not like it pops out for a bite to eat or some fresh air when suits.

• My thinking quality is variable. Sometimes good and inciteful sometimes wooly and based on preconceptions.

If It's any consolation, I experience that "Your thinking is beyond my grasp" sensation at some point with most of the other humans I meet and interact with. IF it's ALWAYS like that I give up on people quite quickly, and when it felt like that with everyone in my youth, I decided that was MY problem and have done my best (with some measurable) success to fix it.

Although I don't see eye to eye with you on all things Debbie, I've found you to be a thoughtful and considerate poster when confronted with opposing ideology. 

I noted with some dismay, but perhaps a little understanding, that when your rejoined you did not elect to rejoin my unfeasibly large "friends" list, I'm hoping you'll (however briefly) reconsider that decision when I do my upcoming "celebrity" thread which should be a bit of harmless fun, as well as instructive as to how the "awards system" works here.

• The voting patters seem to suggest otherwise Debbie.

They suggest that there is there is co-ordination when I look at them.

What do you mean by co-ordination?

I find that extraordinary.

We are just individuals agreeing or disagreeing with something from our own devices, whereever we may be at the time.

How on earth would we 'co-ordinate' that?

Do you think, for example, we are a group of people in contact with each other all agreeing to vote at the same time on the same subjects?

Your thinking is well beyond my grasp.

• The voting patters seem to suggest otherwise Debbie.

They suggest that there is there is co-ordination when I look at them.

The old proverb "Birds of a feather , flock together" is appropriate to both sides of any argument. 

To explain my own point of view a little better I consider "normal" to be "the average majority" and recognise that many people have a mix of normal traits and abnormal traits. 

Setting aside for the moment the undelivered promises of the transhumanists, we still need one woman and one man to make a child, and having produced the child we then need that couple to stay together to raise that child to maturity, and hopefully teach the child some moral values which in order for the human race to continue, needs to include a respect for the primacy & power of heterosexual intercourse. 

So whilst many might seek to cast doubt on the "normalcy" of 

straight Christian married heterosexual couples with children.

they are biologically and culturally speaking representative of optimal human performance and useful for the species. I would not be so arrogant as to suggest that the group that includes me is the only exemplar when it comes to human species behaviour, I believe there is plenty of choice, but I'm reasonably happy with the culture I was born into. 

That some people here step up to challenge those values every time they are mentioned is a basic human right, just as it is a basic human right to select and hold values whatever they are. It's not however a basic human right to vilify those who hold different values to you. THAT is a temptation not a right.

IN a well balanced society, opposing factions get to take the mickey out of each other, either good naturedly, or with rancour, depending upon the individual. But everyone knows that it stops there.

In an unbalanced society people start plotting to kill each other over the differences... 

• maybe not agreeing on things is good though right?

if everyone just agreed with 1 single thing.... well, wed have dictators like a certain german dude just rising to power without a single bit of resistance. its very good that people dont just agree with each other really. just how we portray that is the issue, we shouldnt get mad or offended at people having different views or disagreeing with their view. there was one guy on here who was like that, i forgot who it was but that guy had it right, when everyone was arguing and getting their knickers in a twist with me this one guy just disagreed with me reasonably and said he respects my view but he disagrees with it himself and holds a different view. was no need to arguments ever based on different views. everyone has them lol its ok.

• maybe not agreeing on things is good though right?

if everyone just agreed with 1 single thing.... well, wed have dictators like a certain german dude just rising to power without a single bit of resistance. its very good that people dont just agree with each other really. just how we portray that is the issue, we shouldnt get mad or offended at people having different views or disagreeing with their view. there was one guy on here who was like that, i forgot who it was but that guy had it right, when everyone was arguing and getting their knickers in a twist with me this one guy just disagreed with me reasonably and said he respects my view but he disagrees with it himself and holds a different view. was no need to arguments ever based on different views. everyone has them lol its ok.

Children
No Data