Embarrassment

Any one else who was diagnosed later in life feel embarrassed by having an ASD label? When I first found out I guess I was relieved. Then after telling a few acquaintances and getting various responses I decided to stop telling anyone for a while. Where as now it seems that everyone and his (her or whatever) wife are either diagnosed or looking to get diagnosed. So now I feel like if ever I share that I am ASD people will think oh, another one *rolleyes*. I guess part of it is also how people perceive autism too, as an example stimming. I only have very mild stims that I wouldn’t ever do in front of anyone else because of the embarrassment. But I wouldn’t want anyone to think I full on stim as shown in the recent Chris Packham episodes. It’s as if I feel like being autistic makes me less of a person. 

This post is purely for discussion and not meant to offend anyone (which seems pretty easy to do these days). 

Parents
  • Hi Briar, 

I honestly loved reading this post - you have managed to put into words exactly how I have been feeling, but you are just a million times more articulate than me. 

I have only told very close friends or my immediate family and in 90% of the cases the reaction was pretty neutral, which I expected (eg. wasn't expecting shock and/or a fanfare).

One very close friend I told I knew would be a risk to tell took it as expected, she said all the right things as if she was accepting this news, but I could hear behind her voice/see in her face that she was skeptical. She is a bit that type of person where they don't believe really in diagnoses and/or labels of things. She has this privilege since she's never had anything worse than a cold so can't imagine how it might be to be different or less able. 

I am also going late & recently diagnosed and am staying fairly guarded about sharing this too freely for fear what the reaction may be. 

I have just finished a 10 week coaching course with an autistic life coach (very highly recommend BTW) and he's taught me so much about unmasking and accepting the shame I feel. Also unlearning 35 years of ableism. It's a work in progress but I am slowly getting the hang of a few things.

• Hi Auturmn_Trees,

How did you find your coach? It’s something I’ve been considering instead of my therapist who is nice but can’t help. I’ve looked online and a lot of coaches look pretty unqualified to me.

Reply Children