Asd special interests?

I’ve just read two posts re special interests being a large part of asd diagnostic criteria, I am diagnosed ASD recently as older adult and I don’t collect things or have subjects/ things I’d consider special interest, is there other examples of ‘special interests’ that can be different in some way or other ways to describe it? I know special interests can change over time, I’m very obsessive but not sure what category this comes into under diagnostic criteria and how I relate, any advice/ insight?

• I hope all goes ok for you with regards your report

• Yes I didn’t really speak much in special interests as at the time I didn’t really understand what mine were as I didn’t see them as obvious as I only know how my mind works not the vast majority! But same as you was ‘high in number’ with regards everything else and obviously they picked up on things I was not even aware werecautistic traits for diagnosis, so much so I gaslite myself and asked them ‘are you sure about this?’ ‘Am I definitely’ and they said with 100% confidence, no doubt at all, I suppose that’s just me questioning the process as usual!

• I still got diagnosed but I think it was the social stuff that swung it for me. Although I did offer to tell the assessor all about group theory! (She declined). I don't have my report yet so I can't see in detail.

• Ah ok, thanks for that Nate, good point, it didn’t effect my assessment they said just from reading my notes alone they could have diagnosed me but   I’m sorry to hear you weren’t received well with your honest comments and my son is the same- has to be learning and achieving constantly so it’s concerning that some professionals do not recognise that

• My assessor seemed skeptical about my ASD because I said I don't have any collections, but the truth is I don't care about physical items. I collect knowledge and skills. I get very unhappy if I'm not learning something, whether that's maths, how to write fiction, how to dance, etc.

• Yes I agree, and you’re right, you’re clearly capable of being aware of your diagnosis without a ‘professional’ giving their opinion, it’s made no difference to my life what do ever receiving that historical diagnosis 

• I’m quite rigid on ethics and moralistic as well which I see in a lot of other autistic people, I can’t bare the thought of ever upsetting anyone so lot of guilt and praying eases that for me

• Would you consider getting a diagnosis for ocd?

No.

I'm 61 and I knew I had it from reading psychology books when I was a child.

There's no point or purpose to a diagnosis and in fact I think we are intelligent enough to diagnose ourselves.

I find medics quite patronising sometimes.

When I got my diagnosis I mentioned OCD + was asked if I was diagnosed and I just said no, but I know I have it.

I got a rather snooty look for that.

• Yes that does sound like ocd and I agree I probably was not ‘misdiagnosed’ as I stated it was probably I’m autistic and have OCD but I  don’t agree with the ‘adjustment disorder’ I think that is autism, you’re right though I go have the conclusion and I can’t not act on it I suppose it just crosses over as I have to have everything very in order to feel safe and stick to routine so in general I’m very obsessive, I’m a perfectionist but to my own detriment- very all or something. Would you consider getting a diagnosis for ocd?  

• I also got misdiagnosed with ‘adjustment disorder’ as a young adult because of my autistic traits I couldn’t cope with change at all

• it’s mainly been something bad will happen to my children if I don’t,
    Do you count? Or is it patterns of numbers?

Per your comment above, I'd personally see that as OCD.

So, re your question, if I don't do something a certain number of times, something bad will happen.

This compulsion has diminished considerably since I've aged.

However, recently I was looking after a friend's cat and each time I locked up his house I had to try the door handle to check it was locked, 5 times, to the count of 4 at each press.

• Do you count? Or is it patterns of numbers?

• It was easy to hide as I do it in my head it’s not a physical act 

• Mine is praying, it started when I transitioned to secondary school (11) as did my obsession with exercising and food restriction and I’d binge at weekends because I couldn’t cope with the change of routine, I find it hard as I actually am religious so I enjoy praying but has got to point at times where i used to have to do it instantly and had to be sane payer uninterrupted covering everything I needed to, since being a mum it’s mainly been something bad will happen to my children if I don’t, they’re older do it’s heightened if they’re out and not with me but I find it hard to break because I actually believe in my faith

• I got misdiagnosed as OCD as a teen

I've never been diagnosed with OCD but I know I have it.

However, I do find it hard sometimes to differentiate between the two.

My OCD tends to manifest itself numerically, and I know numbers can be a 'thing' with autism too.

• Yes I got misdiagnosed as having OCD as a teen, I never got diagnosed with an eating disorder as I was never under weight enough but I definitely did have a serious issue with it and it was brought up by my ASD assessors 

• Ok thanks for that Debbie, I appreciate it, I have a colleague who also late diagnosed like me and she’s the same as a mum and about her house like me maybe they’re seen as more ‘socially acceptable’ gendered qualities in females hence why more easily masked but yes we’re both very obsessive about those things to the point others don’t understand at all

• This is from Autism Hampshire:

The interests of girls in the spectrum are very often similar to those of other girls – animals, horses, classical literature – and therefore are not seen as unusual. It is not the special interests that differentiate them from their peers but it is the quality and intensity of these interests. Many obsessively watch soap operas and have an intense interest in celebrities.

https://autismhampshire.org.uk/about-autism/women-and-girls-on-the-autism-spectrum