Asd special interests?

I’ve just read two posts re special interests being a large part of asd diagnostic criteria, I am diagnosed ASD recently as older adult and I don’t collect things or have subjects/ things I’d consider special interest, is there other examples of ‘special interests’ that can be different in some way or other ways to describe it? I know special interests can change over time, I’m very obsessive but not sure what category this comes into under diagnostic criteria and how I relate, any advice/ insight?

Parents Reply Children
  • Yes I agree, and you’re right, you’re clearly capable of being aware of your diagnosis without a ‘professional’ giving their opinion, it’s made no difference to my life what do ever receiving that historical diagnosis 

• I’m quite rigid on ethics and moralistic as well which I see in a lot of other autistic people, I can’t bare the thought of ever upsetting anyone so lot of guilt and praying eases that for me

• Would you consider getting a diagnosis for ocd?

No.

I'm 61 and I knew I had it from reading psychology books when I was a child.

There's no point or purpose to a diagnosis and in fact I think we are intelligent enough to diagnose ourselves.

I find medics quite patronising sometimes.

When I got my diagnosis I mentioned OCD + was asked if I was diagnosed and I just said no, but I know I have it.

I got a rather snooty look for that.

• Yes that does sound like ocd and I agree I probably was not ‘misdiagnosed’ as I stated it was probably I’m autistic and have OCD but I  don’t agree with the ‘adjustment disorder’ I think that is autism, you’re right though I go have the conclusion and I can’t not act on it I suppose it just crosses over as I have to have everything very in order to feel safe and stick to routine so in general I’m very obsessive, I’m a perfectionist but to my own detriment- very all or something. Would you consider getting a diagnosis for ocd?  

• I also got misdiagnosed with ‘adjustment disorder’ as a young adult because of my autistic traits I couldn’t cope with change at all

• it’s mainly been something bad will happen to my children if I don’t,
    Do you count? Or is it patterns of numbers?

Per your comment above, I'd personally see that as OCD.

So, re your question, if I don't do something a certain number of times, something bad will happen.

This compulsion has diminished considerably since I've aged.

However, recently I was looking after a friend's cat and each time I locked up his house I had to try the door handle to check it was locked, 5 times, to the count of 4 at each press.

• Do you count? Or is it patterns of numbers?

• It was easy to hide as I do it in my head it’s not a physical act 

• Mine is praying, it started when I transitioned to secondary school (11) as did my obsession with exercising and food restriction and I’d binge at weekends because I couldn’t cope with the change of routine, I find it hard as I actually am religious so I enjoy praying but has got to point at times where i used to have to do it instantly and had to be sane payer uninterrupted covering everything I needed to, since being a mum it’s mainly been something bad will happen to my children if I don’t, they’re older do it’s heightened if they’re out and not with me but I find it hard to break because I actually believe in my faith

• I got misdiagnosed as OCD as a teen

I've never been diagnosed with OCD but I know I have it.

However, I do find it hard sometimes to differentiate between the two.

My OCD tends to manifest itself numerically, and I know numbers can be a 'thing' with autism too.