Asd special interests?

I’ve just read two posts re special interests being a large part of asd diagnostic criteria, I am diagnosed ASD recently as older adult and I don’t collect things or have subjects/ things I’d consider special interest, is there other examples of ‘special interests’ that can be different in some way or other ways to describe it? I know special interests can change over time, I’m very obsessive but not sure what category this comes into under diagnostic criteria and how I relate, any advice/ insight?

Parents
  • My assessor seemed skeptical about my ASD because I said I don't have any collections, but the truth is I don't care about physical items. I collect knowledge and skills. I get very unhappy if I'm not learning something, whether that's maths, how to write fiction, how to dance, etc.

• Ah ok, thanks for that Nate, good point, it didn’t effect my assessment they said just from reading my notes alone they could have diagnosed me but   I’m sorry to hear you weren’t received well with your honest comments and my son is the same- has to be learning and achieving constantly so it’s concerning that some professionals do not recognise that

• I still got diagnosed but I think it was the social stuff that swung it for me. Although I did offer to tell the assessor all about group theory! (She declined). I don't have my report yet so I can't see in detail.

• I hope all goes ok for you with regards your report

• Yes I didn’t really speak much in special interests as at the time I didn’t really understand what mine were as I didn’t see them as obvious as I only know how my mind works not the vast majority! But same as you was ‘high in number’ with regards everything else and obviously they picked up on things I was not even aware werecautistic traits for diagnosis, so much so I gaslite myself and asked them ‘are you sure about this?’ ‘Am I definitely’ and they said with 100% confidence, no doubt at all, I suppose that’s just me questioning the process as usual!

• Yes I didn’t really speak much in special interests as at the time I didn’t really understand what mine were as I didn’t see them as obvious as I only know how my mind works not the vast majority! But same as you was ‘high in number’ with regards everything else and obviously they picked up on things I was not even aware werecautistic traits for diagnosis, so much so I gaslite myself and asked them ‘are you sure about this?’ ‘Am I definitely’ and they said with 100% confidence, no doubt at all, I suppose that’s just me questioning the process as usual!

Children
No Data