Veggie Sausages and other products.

Recently been cutting back on meat intake, normal autistic trait from young, only really eat processed meat.

Tried some of the new vegetarian sausages today, ‘THIS isn’t pork sausages’, really enjoyed them and the texture is really good. Some brands have been vile. Would be interested to know if anyone else has found some good veggie alternatives on the market. I do cook some vegetarian meals from scratch, interested more in off the shelf for when busy.

• Veggie sausages have come a long way, haven't they? I remember when they were like cardboard!  These days, they're getting pretty darn good.  But no veggie sausage is complete without a killer sauce, and  who know how to make yum yum sauce?  Making your own is surprisingly easy,  and you can tailor it to your taste buds. I like mine with a bit of a kick,  so I add a squeeze of sriracha. What's your secret yum yum sauce ingredient?  Anyone else have a favourite veggie sausage brand to recommend?  Let's share some tips and tricks to make veggie sausage night a taste sensation!

• Ah good for you Roy. Was it Richmonds vegan sausages by any chance? They are very nice.

• I've never had a cream horn

• I was going to lower the tone and mention a cream horn!  I have led a sheltered life.

• You could always try to see if the likes of LoveHoney sell ready-made ones that can be heated up. 

Lol Blush

I definitely won’t ask for the meatballs

Or a sausage and 2 meat balls.

• You could always try to see if the likes of LoveHoney sell ready-made ones that can be heated up. Wink

• a butter pie

Just looked that up.

Sounds wonderful.

Now I just need someone to make it Thinking

• Thank you, this sort of thing always happens to me. Recently I told someone about a third party who had gone deaf, the reply was, “pardon,” I repeated myself 4 times, in the end the person had to explain the joke to me.

I sometimes struggle with imposter syndrome  I then rethink and stop worrying.

If I do go into S&M, I definitely won’t ask for the meatballs!

• Debbie you need to try a butter pie

• I think we may have autistic miscommunication,

It is M&S but I've always called it S&M.

So, for S&M please read M&S and then everything will be fine.

Please though, don't enter an actual S&M shop and ask for a cheese and onion pie (although I'm sure they could rustle something up using a slab of cheese and an onion).

I often buy cheese and onion sausage rolls, is it right to call them that?

To my mind it is not.

I get irritated with the use of meat words for veggie food (especially when it's not a meat substitute) but that's just me.

• Hi, I thought you had accidentally written M&S backwards as in the shop chain. I’m in confusion as S&M obviously means something else, or are you joking again. I think we may have autistic miscommunication, it’s apparently rare with autistic people!

Cheese and Onion pie does sound lush though, I often buy cheese and onion sausage rolls, is it right to call them that?

• Debbie has raised a good point with substitutes not having to look or taste like meat.

Today I had a roast lunch with a cheese and onion pie in shortcrust pastry from S&M.

Yum Yum

• From what the replies have been, autistic people do manage okay with vegetarian food. I wasn’t sure how the replies would go as I know from my own experiences having a restrictive diet does make things slightly harder. The sausages I tried at lunch were as I said,”okay.” The only problem was I could still taste them at dinner time.

The going fully vegan does seem to be too much for most autistic people. I’m sure someone will prove me wrong. From my own experiments, I have been making some nice pasta dishes with a tomato sauce and if course my beloved grated cheese, quite strange, tomato sauces, tinned in a sauce, soup and ketchup fine. Actually  eating a tomato is never going to happen.

I think I’m going to batch cook some of my own recipes, Debbie has raised a good point with substitutes not having to look or taste like meat. My village pub has gone very upmarket, four full time chefs and very twee food. The peasant option is a burger in a brioche bun with chip’s strategically stacked in a tin mug. The chef’s tried different veggie options of it and from feedback it’s now actually a bean burger made with vegetables, it’s what people actually preferred. Your not alone Debbie. I have tried the veggie sharing platter, that is nice as has cheese with it! The Superfood salad is a step too far for me. I would go into toxic shock.

• bbq baked beans sound so good!

Not home made - just Heinz.

• Ooh bbq baked beans sound so good! 

• A bit like Autonomistic, I've been vegetarian about 36 years.  I don't remember Quorn being about, I remember having to go to health food shops for Burgamix and Sosmix.  Beanfeast (amazing bring this back) was one of the few products you could get in mainstream supermarkets.  I also remember having to soak beans overnight and boil them for an hour and then make weird pasties and stuff to go in the freezer.  It's much easier these days!

Richmond veg sausages already mentioned are currently my favourites, followed by Cauldron Cumberland sausages (though expensive) then Quorn.  The Linda McCartney range has definitely dropped out of favour.  A current favourite for payday is the plant based Kyevs from Marks (the no-fish cakes aren't good imo).  I also prefer the Quorn bacon to other types. The meat free balls (Sainsburys) with spaghetti and gravy are a favourite.  I also like the plant based burgers from Sainsburys but they're not good if overcooked.  I also still buy dried soya to make chilli or bolognaise and as a treat mock duck to put in stir fries.

I eat quite a lot of meat substitutes (I'm vegetarian for ethical reasons as opposed to someone that doesn't like meat), although there are a few products which now I wouldn't eat if they are too meat like as I've got used to not having it.  I've been called a meat and two veg vegetarian due to the way I will just replace the meat with a substitute.  This comes from cooking tea for my dad when my mum was working and so I literally had the same dinner with something else instead of the meat.

You do have to think a little about a balanced diet, however, I'm not vegan so I still get B12 for example from things like eggs and milk, also marmite.  Protein is one thing I used to think about as only soya is really a complete protein compared to meat.  However, some things you naturally eat together have the necessary amino acids to form complete proteins e.g. beans on toast.  I don't mind the vegan stuff, I get more annoyed by the fat free stuff as historically I've been borderline between ideal weight and underweight.

Anyways, no harm in cutting down meat intake and trying new stuff, could be better for you and the planet :).

• I used to get the Linda / Aldi red onion and rosemary ones because my ex likes them. I could tolerate them but they are a bit too spicy with the rosemary and other flavours. i haven't tried to find a replacement as I never want to be depending on processed foods as a core part of my diet as it would then distress me if they were changed or discontinued. Instead I mix vital wheat gluten with water and salt to make blobs of protein. It only takes a couple of minutes to mix and then steam for 30 minutes or so.

• I've tried several times to eat more vegetarian food. It's not been a good experience, due to many supermarket vegetarian products being  less than tasty. I chucked out most of it out.

• Strictly vegetarians do not eat fish. The official term for those who eat fish but not meat is pescatarian.

I know in practice some people will describe themselves as vegetarian and still eat fish. I've been guilty of that myself in the past.

• I had the Beyond Meat 'Beyond Meatballs' for dinner tonight with spaghetti. They're made with pea protein.

Very nice but with 18g/100g fat content not exactly healthy Open mouth