Veggie Sausages and other products.

Recently been cutting back on meat intake, normal autistic trait from young, only really eat processed meat.

Tried some of the new vegetarian sausages today, ‘THIS isn’t pork sausages’, really enjoyed them and the texture is really good. Some brands have been vile. Would be interested to know if anyone else has found some good veggie alternatives on the market. I do cook some vegetarian meals from scratch, interested more in off the shelf for when busy.

Parents
  • A bit like Autonomistic, I've been vegetarian about 36 years.  I don't remember Quorn being about, I remember having to go to health food shops for Burgamix and Sosmix.  Beanfeast (amazing bring this back) was one of the few products you could get in mainstream supermarkets.  I also remember having to soak beans overnight and boil them for an hour and then make weird pasties and stuff to go in the freezer.  It's much easier these days!

Richmond veg sausages already mentioned are currently my favourites, followed by Cauldron Cumberland sausages (though expensive) then Quorn.  The Linda McCartney range has definitely dropped out of favour.  A current favourite for payday is the plant based Kyevs from Marks (the no-fish cakes aren't good imo).  I also prefer the Quorn bacon to other types. The meat free balls (Sainsburys) with spaghetti and gravy are a favourite.  I also like the plant based burgers from Sainsburys but they're not good if overcooked.  I also still buy dried soya to make chilli or bolognaise and as a treat mock duck to put in stir fries.

I eat quite a lot of meat substitutes (I'm vegetarian for ethical reasons as opposed to someone that doesn't like meat), although there are a few products which now I wouldn't eat if they are too meat like as I've got used to not having it.  I've been called a meat and two veg vegetarian due to the way I will just replace the meat with a substitute.  This comes from cooking tea for my dad when my mum was working and so I literally had the same dinner with something else instead of the meat.

You do have to think a little about a balanced diet, however, I'm not vegan so I still get B12 for example from things like eggs and milk, also marmite.  Protein is one thing I used to think about as only soya is really a complete protein compared to meat.  However, some things you naturally eat together have the necessary amino acids to form complete proteins e.g. beans on toast.  I don't mind the vegan stuff, I get more annoyed by the fat free stuff as historically I've been borderline between ideal weight and underweight.

Anyways, no harm in cutting down meat intake and trying new stuff, could be better for you and the planet :).

• A bit like Autonomistic, I've been vegetarian about 36 years.  I don't remember Quorn being about, I remember having to go to health food shops for Burgamix and Sosmix.  Beanfeast (amazing bring this back) was one of the few products you could get in mainstream supermarkets.  I also remember having to soak beans overnight and boil them for an hour and then make weird pasties and stuff to go in the freezer.  It's much easier these days!

Richmond veg sausages already mentioned are currently my favourites, followed by Cauldron Cumberland sausages (though expensive) then Quorn.  The Linda McCartney range has definitely dropped out of favour.  A current favourite for payday is the plant based Kyevs from Marks (the no-fish cakes aren't good imo).  I also prefer the Quorn bacon to other types. The meat free balls (Sainsburys) with spaghetti and gravy are a favourite.  I also like the plant based burgers from Sainsburys but they're not good if overcooked.  I also still buy dried soya to make chilli or bolognaise and as a treat mock duck to put in stir fries.

I eat quite a lot of meat substitutes (I'm vegetarian for ethical reasons as opposed to someone that doesn't like meat), although there are a few products which now I wouldn't eat if they are too meat like as I've got used to not having it.  I've been called a meat and two veg vegetarian due to the way I will just replace the meat with a substitute.  This comes from cooking tea for my dad when my mum was working and so I literally had the same dinner with something else instead of the meat.

You do have to think a little about a balanced diet, however, I'm not vegan so I still get B12 for example from things like eggs and milk, also marmite.  Protein is one thing I used to think about as only soya is really a complete protein compared to meat.  However, some things you naturally eat together have the necessary amino acids to form complete proteins e.g. beans on toast.  I don't mind the vegan stuff, I get more annoyed by the fat free stuff as historically I've been borderline between ideal weight and underweight.

Anyways, no harm in cutting down meat intake and trying new stuff, could be better for you and the planet :).

Children
No Data