Extreme male brain theory

I have thought since young that I have a male type brain, so, long before I even knew about autism, let alone that I am autistic.

Thinking about that today I did a random Googly and came up with this test:

https://yourbraintype.com/

I found curious that whether or not one is autistic is one of the preliminary questions, so I researched my result (Type S – hyper-systemizer – AQ score 10).

This is when I realised that the theory was created by Baron-Cohen:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empathising%E2%80%93systemising_theory

Researching further I learnt that the theory is controversial.

Here is one link, but there are many on the Googlyweb:

https://www.spectrumnews.org/news/extreme-male-brain-explained/

I am probably teaching some of you to ‘suck eggs’ (not literally) but in any case, I’d really like to learn more about this, as, per my intro, I’ve felt much more akin to male than female all my life, so any input would be much appreciated, however random.

Also, if anyone would like to share their 'score' that would be interesting.

• Not a fan of this type of test.  It turns out that I am autistic...probably a woman....and definitely difficult to categorise.  Well, a suppose that 2-out-of-3 ain't bad.  Oh no....maybe I'm a bat out of hell!

• thats the only reason id bother checking chairs really, and to see if anyones left dirt all over it.

Or the experience I had when I visited London once.

I entered the tube carriage and sat down on a pool of warm piss, just freshly laid.

I got my hands in it too.

As I'd just arrived there it ruined my day.

There was an article I read once where the tube train seats were tested for germs and the results were horrific Scream

• I'm type B with an AQ score of 9 

• I see your post breathes once more. Yay, take that spam filter!

• I don't need to take a test to know that I will score low on empathy when I can't identify a particular situational relevence, but do respond when it is relevent to my profile of historic understandings. 

• the only reason id pay attention to a chair is to see if its functional.

swivel chair? you have to check the thingy to see if its attached or been spun off. give it a shave and spin and put a bit of weight on first before i trust my entire body weight on it.

thats the only reason id bother checking chairs really, and to see if anyones left dirt all over it.

• I did A level geography and a year of geology at university, so river routes and tracing them mean something to me. If I come across an odd chair I haven't seen before, I will have a look to see how it is made, I can offer no rationalization for this, however.

• Generally I don’t pay much attention to Baron-Cohen’s work. I feel like a lot of his ideas are dated. His original extreme male brain theory was published in 2002 when we basically denied that autism occurred in women.

I did take the test and scored low on both scales. I always fine these questions difficult, so it probably doesn’t really say much about me. I wish they were more specific, or I could ask questions, for example “Do you think about the aerodynamics of plane while flying?”, my brain is usually more occupied with planning my escape route in the event of a crash and dealing with the sensory nightmare of being on a plane but I do like watching the map screen, does that count as thinking about aerodynamic? 

I did, unsurprisingly, score as autistic.

And for though who are interested, yes, Baron-Cohen is related to Sacha Baron-Cohen, the comedian. 

• ok i got 1 in both categories and a brain type b lol

that test is totally wrong as i answered the standard normal human way, i dont care where a river flows or comes from because its not of my concern, i dont care how a chair is made so long as it can take my weight. so because i care not for any of these things i get low systemising score that is apparently female?

isnt that a bit sexist? like saying women dont think of these intricate deep things? when in reality its more guys like me who dont actually care about those things really... i think these posh university kids are clueless on life and need to go out there and get life experience, this is all the test tells me.

• yeah it was asking my job and i couldnt find it on the list in any category so i just exited lol

• cant get the page to load. looks interesting.

• I seem to prove your last sentence Martin.
    I got:
    Your Empathy score (EQ): 12

Most females score 6 to 16.
    Most males score 4 to 15.
    If you score 0 to 4 you are low on empathy, and if you score 16 to 20 you score high on empathy. 

Your Systemizing score (SQ): 10

Most females score 2 to 9.
    Most males score 3 to 11.
    If you score 0 to 3 you are low in your systemizing drive, and if you score 12 to 20, you are high on your systemizing drive.

Your brain type classification: Type B

I find that really interesting as it looks like I'd expect from maybe a clever NT but it doesn't actually say anything about my autism profile, because being able to read the neurotypicals on an academic level doesn't mean I can communicate with them smoothly because it's like I'm a broken/finicky 2 way radio I can receive the messages but I most often can't send them out. Also none of the questions were about sensory stuff or anything else I ticked the box on to meet my diagnosis. I guess that means this test like others that have come before it are not the be all and end all of diagnostic tools.

• I have type S brain, SQ 14, while my EQ was a measly 2. However, other people's distress affects me greatly - a different type of empathy, presumably. On a different systematising test I scored 91, the average for autistic males being 81.4, for neurotypical males 69.6 - I seem to be a hyper systematiser. I would challenge the idea that systematising ability is inversely proportional to empathy in a fixed relationship, however. I  imagine that both could coexist in the same person.

• Thank you all for your replies.

• Sorry that the spam monster has entered the comments section (again!). I'll let the Powers That Be know.

• I just posted my scores but my post has been gobbled by the spam eating monster... again Confounded Hopefully it will be back soon.

In summary I'm also a type S.

• My results:

Your Empathy score (EQ): 0

Most females score 6 to 16.
    Most males score 4 to 15.
    If you score 0 to 4 you are low on empathy, and if you score 16 to 20 you score high on empathy. 

Your Systemizing score (SQ): 9

Most females score 2 to 9.
    Most males score 3 to 11.
    If you score 0 to 3 you are low in your systemizing drive, and if you score 12 to 20, you are high on your systemizing drive.

Your brain type classification: Type S

33% of people are classified as Type E (their EQ score is greater than their SQ score). 
    33% are classified as Type S (their SQ is greater than their EQ). 
    30% are classified as Type B for balanced (their EQ and SQ are relatively equal).
    2% of people are classified as Extreme Type E (EQ is much greater than SQ).
    2% of people are classified as Extreme Type S (SQ is much greater than EQ).
    I guess that's a male brain then, even though I'm female. Given the creator I won't be relying on that too much but it is quite consistent with how I've always felt. At school my best subjects were the traditionally male oriented maths and sciences.

• I scored a massive ZERO on the empathy section Sweat smile so yes, very much a systemiser brain for me. I don't really feel that I've got a 'male' brain though- I've been told that I think like a man in the past, but only by people who think that (for example) women can't be good at maths and had the unfortunate experience of being proved wrong by meeting me in my 'competitive mathematics' era at secondary school.