Unnecessary anxiety??

I am one of a few Jews living in a small Norfolk town. I already have strikes against me being an autistic American with no friends who has experienced my car being "keyed", having two tyres let down, damage to recently installed fencing on my driveway. Now with this Israelie war and an apparent widspread refusal in the UK population to condemn the barbaric attack by Hamas as reported on our News media --- am I being unnecessarily anxious?

Parents
  • I'm sorry that you're anxious but maybe focus the thread on that?

What I'm reading feels like attacks on other people.  You don't like "woke", replace it with the words "compassionate human being" and see how it reads.  Try not to use language that you know is going to be inflammatory.  We're neurodivergent, the world is neurodiverse, we're never all going to agree.

Yes the attacks were horrific. The situation is incredibly complex from millenia of fighting over what to me is a cursed patch of land. 

Ultimately we are passengers on a small planet orbiting the sun, too soon we return to the dust and own nothing.  In 10 years your scratched car is forgotten, in a 100 years we're all forgotten.  So let's do the least damage possible whilst we're here.

Make friends with your neighbours or the other Jewish folks in your village. Embrace the local culture, volunteer at a worthy local cause. Make someone else happy if you can't be happy yourself.  It's up to you.

• Make friends with your neighbours or the other Jewish folks in your village.

Here in Brazil there is a very large Jewish and arabic community and there is incredibly little animosity between the two of them (except when they are claiming who makes the best hummus...) which shows it is not a religion thing.

The constant flag waving of "poor persecuted Jews" is just trying to detract from the fact the abused have become the abusers, but with the support of the USA to the tune of billions of dollars a year plus the famous "jewish lobby" in US politics that is surprisingly influential ( en.wikipedia.org/.../Israel_lobby_in_the_United_States ).

I think that an extension of this is that jewish people start to imagine the slightest issue against them is because they are jewish, not because they did anything wrong, don't integrate into the community for some reason (eg the community is inbred and closed minded), because someone was having a bad day or whatever.

I think the consensus here is that the behaviour the OP is receiving is probably going to happen to any outsider in that community, especially if they try to play the antisemitism card over it.

My advice to fit in is to stop making it about you, try to find friends in the community through which you can be known for your actions, your personality and the contributions you make to the community and accept that there are plenty of village idiots in your neighbourhood.

• No government is infallible. I return to my earlier comment not as a justification but as a reality check for a people who after surviving Nazism --- globally there are only 14mil.today --- and with the creation of the Israeli state:  " when a country is surrounded by neighbours who do not want it to be there, it has no choice but  to arm itself to its teeth as a show not to be messed with." The Israeli state took an oath: Never again !!  

• Iran, Hammas,rockets etc.

• It seems to me that quite a lot of fuss is being made over Russia’s actions now. They weren’t before because of the fear of nuclear war.

As for China and the Uighurs, I agree. Similar fears I suppose, but it is ethnic cleansing, clearly.

None of which makes it okay or even sensible to take the Palestinians’ land away and coral the refugees in what the UN described as the world’s largest open air prison.

There is only one way Israelis will ever have peace and security: to give justice to the Palestinians. This is simply a fact.

• Don’t you find it offensive that Israelis deny that the Palestinians even exist or that they have seized almost all the land the Palestinians were left with by the UN?

I was reading up on the claims to this land and it seems a bit ropey to me:

https://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jewish-claim-to-the-land-of-israel

The Jewish people base their claim to the land of Israel on at least four premises:

1) God promised the land to the patriarch Abraham;

2) the Jewish people settled and developed the land;

3) the international community granted political sovereignty in Palestine to the Jewish people and

4) the territory was captured in defensive wars.

Point 1 has no legal standing as it cannot be proved or disproved by its nature.

Point 2 conveniently ignores the arabs living on the land before them. They may not have the same level of development of agriculture but planting something on the land does not equate to ownership. This point is therefore also moot.

Point 4 is land grab - occupation of foreign lands then claiming then as your own. I'm pretty sure it is illegal in international law.

Point 3 is fine - there was a modest area of land granted to the Israeli state through this mechanism but when you look at how the land grab has eroded the original inhabitants area over time it tells a different story:

• Don’t you find it offensive that Israelis deny that the Palestinians even exist or that they have seized almost all the land the Palestinians were left with by the UN?

I find it horrifically offensive and unforgivable.

• Well said,  BUT one needs to be careful with the amount of fake news floating about and the advent of AI to replicate or change anything.

• Yes, but the international public outcry, and the displayed depth of emotion never happened unlike with these current events. It simply got reported with some official remarks of condemnation.

That is probably because it has happened so many times it is not really a big story in the way Russias invasion of Ukraine was. It is less "news" than "it happened again" which doesn't get peoples interest as much.

That is also a double standard perpetrated by the left wing bias of the BBC.

I think there is a degree of the BBC seeing the Palestinian civilans as the overall victims in the long chain of events unfolding.

I believe there is a view that while the military attacks by Hamas were a terrorist attack and should be condemned, the response by Israel is reflecting this same terror element through indiscriminate killing, collective punishment and further theft of land in the name of "safety".

Neither side is blameless but it is a David and Goliath story where Goliath is winning and the press love an undersdog for a good story so run with that.

I notice the BBC responded to the claims that they are refusing to call Hamas terrorists:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-67083432

Their line of reasoning is compelling.

• Sound familiar?

Yes, but the international public outcry, and the displayed depth of emotion never happened unlike with these current events. It simply got reported with some official remarks of condemnation. That is also a double standard perpetrated by the left wing bias of the BBC.

• Simply saying money talks louder than words

Who sends the money, who receives it and what is the trade used here? I do not understand what you are alluding to here.

• And tried they did even allowing  Palestinians into their government positions---but still came the rockets.! Appeasement never works with terrorists.

Are you saying the government of Palestine was ordering the attacks?

That would imply that the residents of Palestine chose to elect a government who would stand up to the neighbour who was killing its residents with impunity, stealing their land and preventing them from being able to trade freely with their neighbours like a normal country would.

I think this is a monster of Israels own making - and on purpose to justify further land grabs and further destruction of Palestines capability to be a self governing territory.

The pattern of their behaviour and response by Palestine is a clear indication of this.

• Simply saying money talks louder than words.

• Why is not the same parallel made with Russia protracted over a much longer period of time.

I believe it has been covered much more in the news than you think - I certainly recall seeing the BBC cover the other countries that Russia has invaded with its massive overwhelming military force, its interference in the media (fake news, misinformation and paid for new channels / presenters supporting them) and threats of consequence for any other parties considering coming to the aid of the oppressed.

Sound familiar?

As for China, there is sufficiently little reliable information to make much of this unfortunately. The government there has complete control over the media and reporting.

I think where you are making the biggest mistake if focussing only on the latest attack by Hamas. Yes it was aweful and yes I condem it, but when looked at in the context of the ongoing conflict it is hardly surprising that it came to this.

Both sides are now doing truly aweful things but one side has a massively more powerful military, has a stranglehold on the other powers territory and has unconditional support from the largest superpower in the world, so it can act with impunity.

there is money to be made, blinded oversight seems to kick in.

I don't understand this comment - can you explain please?

• Why is not the same parallel made with Russia protracted over a much longer period of time.

I believe it has been covered much more in the news than you think - I certainly recall seeing the BBC cover the other countries that Russia has invaded with its massive overwhelming military force, its interference in the media (fake news, misinformation and paid for new channels / presenters supporting them) and threats of consequence for any other parties considering coming to the aid of the oppressed.

Sound familiar?

As for China, there is sufficiently little reliable information to make much of this unfortunately. The government there has complete control over the media and reporting.

I think where you are making the biggest mistake if focussing only on the latest attack by Hamas. Yes it was aweful and yes I condem it, but when looked at in the context of the ongoing conflict it is hardly surprising that it came to this.

Both sides are now doing truly aweful things but one side has a massively more powerful military, has a stranglehold on the other powers territory and has unconditional support from the largest superpower in the world, so it can act with impunity.

there is money to be made, blinded oversight seems to kick in.

I don't understand this comment - can you explain please?

Children
  • Iran, Hammas,rockets etc.

• Well said,  BUT one needs to be careful with the amount of fake news floating about and the advent of AI to replicate or change anything.

• Yes, but the international public outcry, and the displayed depth of emotion never happened unlike with these current events. It simply got reported with some official remarks of condemnation.

That is probably because it has happened so many times it is not really a big story in the way Russias invasion of Ukraine was. It is less "news" than "it happened again" which doesn't get peoples interest as much.

That is also a double standard perpetrated by the left wing bias of the BBC.

I think there is a degree of the BBC seeing the Palestinian civilans as the overall victims in the long chain of events unfolding.

I believe there is a view that while the military attacks by Hamas were a terrorist attack and should be condemned, the response by Israel is reflecting this same terror element through indiscriminate killing, collective punishment and further theft of land in the name of "safety".

Neither side is blameless but it is a David and Goliath story where Goliath is winning and the press love an undersdog for a good story so run with that.

I notice the BBC responded to the claims that they are refusing to call Hamas terrorists:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-67083432

Their line of reasoning is compelling.

• Sound familiar?

Yes, but the international public outcry, and the displayed depth of emotion never happened unlike with these current events. It simply got reported with some official remarks of condemnation. That is also a double standard perpetrated by the left wing bias of the BBC.

• Simply saying money talks louder than words

Who sends the money, who receives it and what is the trade used here? I do not understand what you are alluding to here.

• Simply saying money talks louder than words.