Regrets? Got any?

Me -yep, plenty.

Music is one of the few things that keeps me alive. I sometimes contemplate the concerts I got dragged to by my partner at the time, as a youngster in the 80s.

I was there but not there, if you get me. While the thousands in the crowd at Manchester Apollo jumped out of their seats, punching the air, making devil horns, playing air-guitars and head-banging - I stood there like a block of wood feeling super mega uncomfortable and bewildered. I would always white out and can't remember a single thing from any of those gigs. All I also remember from Donington back then were the awful horrendous toilets and the panic about getting back through a ginormous sea of tens of thousands of people to get back to my partner! Why didn't I take photos? Keep souvenirs? - I have no idea, other than that I was there, but not there.

I came across some photos online a few months back that someone had uploaded from Donington at that time and weirdly (in a where's waldo moment), I was able to pick us out in the ginormous crowd of teeny tiny people!! And yet, I remember almost nothing about it!

Pity I can't go back though with the knowledge I have now!

• For you? I do not know. For me, revenge.

• Hey Roy lovely to see you ^^

• Nice to see you back Goosey.Grinning

• lol "escape is your best survival strategy". They do not know how right they are

• Trying to see others autism through my own experience of being autistic but of course, this is wrong. I was brought up by my grandmother and I wish I had know back then that I was autistic as this would have made life so much better. I regret not always treating her the way I should have. if only I had the chance to spend five minutes with her now, just talking and being able to hug her.  

• I seem to have a lot of regrets I often think back and wish I did something differently like it would make a big difference.

My therapist says this is unhealthy so now I try not to focus too much on regrets

But then I think the things that happen and things we do shape us in to who we become so I guess it's not all bad stuff because we learn from it.

• Jeez, holy cr*p, that's DARK. Sorry you went through that. No-one's coming out of that okay. I've been through a lot of awful stuff & consider myself well and truly ****ed up, but what you describe is in a whole other league.

• There's climbing out but then there's really climbing out, physically perhaps yes, but mentally you can't unknow that stuff, can't unsee that stuff, and can't pretend it didn't happen, it stays with you for life and shapes you as a person.

For what? - I don't know, I don't really know why we keep going. It's hard either way.

• It was a southern european country, but I was told that UK in the eighties was not a good place to live in. 

• ah but you cant regret it as you couldnt change that, and if you redid your life it would all be the same anyway.

what country is it you was born and raised in? it sounds a bit extreme for the uk standards.

• I remember playing in those trash piles. My favourite toys were dead cats and used needles. I had to ran away from muggers and child rapists. Once, I spent all morning playing around a passed out junkie, before somebody noticed that he actually OD'ed while we were playing football next to his corpse.

I am pretty sure that if I had anything more resembling a human childhood I would not be such an horrible person. I know that I actually decided to become an horrible person around 1995, but that's not the point. 

• i dunno, i dont think i have regrets so to say as i know that id have done nothing different anyway or couldnt have. whatever i did i did and anyone would have done based on lifes course. i believe everyone starts the same, then its a matter of life shaping you and in life shaping you it sets who you are and how you react. id have done the same, anyone would have done the same, nothing would be different if i did over or if another person was put in my life. therefore there can be no regrets as its just the way it is.

if i did do things differently it probably would have been wrong, or bad, or worse.

although we can think on all the stuff we missed out on that other people had, but they are not really regrets, we wouldnt have done or been able to do that stuff anyway, whatever it is you missed that others had.

• lol all my old mates are either dead, in jail, in the psych ward or worse. I climbed out, but for what?

• Amen to that. It's near impossible to climb out as well.

• Sadly I don't think people are that forgiving. 

I felt that way too. I wouldn't really understand why things faded (or flat out ended) when it seemed we were so close at one point but I wish I had ways of dealing with that better.

Especially as in a lot of those cases, that was not the only person in my life.

• Being born in one of the most deprived council slums of Europe

• I dunno, I mean if you don't know, you just don't, you're in the dark at that time, right? Not so much an excuse, more just a fact. 

I think from my own perspective, I always expected friendships and relationships to last forever, I mean, like for life, you've got this friend like 'that's it now' cast in stone - forever, life, no matter what, you know what I'm saying? When they didn't it came as a huge bewildering shock. And with relationships it can be a really bad thing, as you take all sorts of cr*p and can't end it, cos it's for life and can't be changed...yikes

Darn it, I'm all alone then in the Wonky Smile Club......Grin

• Yeah I came on too strong and I wish I didn't, but at the same time I just didn't know. However, I think I'm expected to have known and not knowing is hardly a good excuse for having hurt someone.

I'm getting braces now so at least that'll be ticked off. Smiley

It's mostly the former. I've edited it just to make things clear - the last point is something I did do and wish I hadn't. The others are things I didn't do.

• I'm going to add this one because it came straight to mind, along with Frankie.

However, I'm not sure I'd say 'no regrets' myself ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3Kvu6Kgp88

Non, Je ne regrette rien: Edith Piaf