Life changes since diagnosis/self-realisation/identification

This question was inspired by Out of Step.

Since your diagnosis of autism, or your realisation and self identification of autism, have you changed and how?

Also, have others changed in their atttitude to you?

Also, have you made any changes to your life that benefit you?

Has it changed your thought processes/attitude to others/past life experiences etc etc?

Parents
  • What about you Debbie1?

Have things changed for you have you noticed more positives?

As I was diagnosed so late in life (60) a lot of my realisations have been retrospective.

So, the diagnosis put a lot of my life experiences, especially the negative ones, into a context.

It's been a positive change for me, and I'm sad to read how it can be negative for others (including yourself).

I think I'm a pretty calm person generally (not always!) but I think since I knew, I've been calmer and more at one with myself.

I have a very small circle of people I spend time with, and I haven't found that their attitude towards me has changed, although one friend I think doesn't really believe it.

I've used the diagnosis as a 'get out of jail free card' and have slithered out of social invites where I felt I could without causing too much offence.

The diagnosis has made me think about my autistic friend more than usual, as we were once in a relationship, as two undiagnosed autistic people.

The issues we had I can now see came down a lot to our neurodiversity.

Also, it's made me think even more about my late mother, who I now believe was autistic.

Before my diagnosis, I thought she was bipolar and/or had schizoaffective disorder and /or narcissism.

My autistic friend believed that she was autistic but because of so many other issues with her, I wasn't sure.

Now I feel as certain as I ever will, but I believe there were a lot of other mental issues going on as well.

I discovered this forum through my diagnosis, and that's helped a lot, to talk to other people who are on the same or similar wavelength and who share words here that resonate.

• I hope it is ok to add, I also believe my mother is autistic and now lives on a hosptial ward with dementia. 

Reply Children
No Data