Life changes since diagnosis/self-realisation/identification

This question was inspired by Out of Step.

Since your diagnosis of autism, or your realisation and self identification of autism, have you changed and how?

Also, have others changed in their atttitude to you?

Also, have you made any changes to your life that benefit you?

Has it changed your thought processes/attitude to others/past life experiences etc etc?

Parents
  • Good question Debbie1. I wasn’t diagnosed that long ago really but I do notice changes in my life & myself. They aren’t good changes mostly but there are some good ones like I’m more aware of myself now and how I feel. I don’t really understand how I feel but I notice when I don’t feel happy & comfortable.

I notice how I’ve become more comfortable being myself. I think I must have masked loads before I was diagnosed, how I got through school is defos by masking. But in my last year at school I was diagnosed and I made the mistake of telling everyone because I wondered if it would help me & people would be more understanding and supportive.
    BIG MISTAKE. I was bullied, called rem, they railed me until the very last day when school finished. I don’t think I would be so open again with people it hurt last time and I don’t feel comfortable telling anyone outside my family.

One change I made was that instead of going out to make friends, get a job, interact normally with the everyday I world I decided I would do what’s right for so like I’ll stay in more and try to make things work for me from home so like I started a YT channel and that’s actually working out for me better than I thought it would. I can stay home, be social online like I am now and that’s really good for me.
    Another change is more positive thinking. My teens were awful I felt so lonely & insecure, riddled with anxiety. It was a dark time & I was in a bad place. It’s not much better now tbhSweat smileSweat smile but because I'm diagnosed now I feel it's a little better because I know myself in a way.

It hasn't really changed my thoughts & processes to do with past stuff. Actually I struggle to remember the past like so I'm only 17 and I can't remember much from like a year ago lol Sweat smile my memory is like that of an old ladys.

One positive life change for me has been that I'm closer with my mum & dad now. Since being diagnosed with autism I feel more understood by my mum & dad we do a lot more together as well. It's nice.

What about you Debbie1?

Have things changed for you have you noticed more positives?

• Good question Debbie1. I wasn’t diagnosed that long ago really but I do notice changes in my life & myself. They aren’t good changes mostly but there are some good ones like I’m more aware of myself now and how I feel. I don’t really understand how I feel but I notice when I don’t feel happy & comfortable.

I notice how I’ve become more comfortable being myself. I think I must have masked loads before I was diagnosed, how I got through school is defos by masking. But in my last year at school I was diagnosed and I made the mistake of telling everyone because I wondered if it would help me & people would be more understanding and supportive.
    BIG MISTAKE. I was bullied, called rem, they railed me until the very last day when school finished. I don’t think I would be so open again with people it hurt last time and I don’t feel comfortable telling anyone outside my family.

One change I made was that instead of going out to make friends, get a job, interact normally with the everyday I world I decided I would do what’s right for so like I’ll stay in more and try to make things work for me from home so like I started a YT channel and that’s actually working out for me better than I thought it would. I can stay home, be social online like I am now and that’s really good for me.
    Another change is more positive thinking. My teens were awful I felt so lonely & insecure, riddled with anxiety. It was a dark time & I was in a bad place. It’s not much better now tbhSweat smileSweat smile but because I'm diagnosed now I feel it's a little better because I know myself in a way.

It hasn't really changed my thoughts & processes to do with past stuff. Actually I struggle to remember the past like so I'm only 17 and I can't remember much from like a year ago lol Sweat smile my memory is like that of an old ladys.

One positive life change for me has been that I'm closer with my mum & dad now. Since being diagnosed with autism I feel more understood by my mum & dad we do a lot more together as well. It's nice.

What about you Debbie1?

Have things changed for you have you noticed more positives?

Children
No Data