Social Media - how do you manage it?

I wrote this last week after several years of absence from all things social media. I'm sharing it with you if you'd like to read it. Social Media: http://earlyinthemorning.co.uk/index.php/live-observe-learn-repeat/social-media  

If you don't have time nor inclination for that though, you probably have much to offer me and any others on this particular learning curve. So, in the context of social media, how do you manage to juggle the feeling of being bombarded and swamped with a kind of need to kind of semi-connect with other humans?

• I avoid all social media.  It's the devil's work.

• I mostly stick to sites like Tumblr where there's no algorithm and I have to specifically seek out content I like.
    I've found that if I stick to the places where there's more long-form content and niche interests, I'm less likely to feel bombarded by nonsense and more likely to feel there's room to make friends.

Same: I use sites that don't use algorithms. It's more honest that way. I always think algorithms just encourage overuse like gambling but worse because "like chasing" is more addictive to the social animal that is homo sapiens.

• need to kind of semi-connect with other humans?

Quality not quantity! 

• Yeah I guess, but I still differentiate it from the app types. 

• Isn't this forum 'social media' ? Thinking

• I only really visit the odd message board and Reddit right now. I used to be all over Twitter, Instagram, Facebook etc but I came off them, although I didn't really have a choice.

I realise now that I used to put too much of myself out there on Twitter. Too much personal matters that I should have saved for therapy or talked to a friend about in confidence. I realise now it's okay to be private where the internet is concerned.

• I've never felt the need to have any social media accounts (facebook, twitter, etc). 

Any need I may have to semi-connect with other humans is met by forums such as this. I much prefer forums as that's what I'm used to. I can dip in and out when it suits me and do not feel bombarded.

I do watch some YouTube videos by autistic content creators. However that is just passive watching, not engaging or communicating. 

• Reading this was like a breath of fresh air. It's not just me then?! 

• I mostly stick to sites like Tumblr where there's no algorithm and I have to specifically seek out content I like. When things get pushed on you as recommendations all the time it stresses me out, and I often don't like what's recommended anyway, so I never signed up to TikTok (for example) and have no intention of ever doing so.

I've found that if I stick to the places where there's more long-form content and niche interests, I'm less likely to feel bombarded by nonsense and more likely to feel there's room to make friends.

• So, in the context of social media, how do you manage to juggle the feeling of being bombarded and swamped with a kind of need to kind of semi-connect with other humans?

I treat Social Media as a bit of a parasite - there may be some symbiotic benefit but on the whole is just sucks the life right out of you so it best avoided.

I tend to make my interaction strictly time limited but will do a batch of posting on subjects I'm active in (I'm currently doing a bunch of YouTube videon on properties I'm developing) and then give it a break for a few weeks.

My experience of peoples posts are that they are most often fake, hateful, banal or pushing some agenda, so filtering through a tsunami od dross to find an occasional interesting post is just not worth the effort.